Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:54 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times

Advertisements

I use them to find hotels through the reviews and locations and also look at the different flights, then go to the actual website and book what I need. It is often the same price or cheaper. I know on one flight my son took, Frontier offeres a free carry on bag if booked through them, but if you book through the sites, you have to pay extra for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They do - by pointing me in the direction of the specific hotel or car rental or airline to buy my ticket!
This! Those websites are essentially search engines -- they will suggest some things you already know about (i.e. the equivalent of Wikipedia) but also a bunch things you don't know. I can go on Google Maps or Tripadvisor and search for "hotels in XXXXX", note the ones with a good location (or rating) and then make a bunch of web searches to find out the best price, or I can go on Expedia or Hotels.com or Booking.com and use min/max price and other filters in what amounts to an advanced search.

You're not necessarily going to get a better deal through those sites (though sometimes you do), but you are likely not going to know about those deals if you don't use them one way or another. Those sites are a part of my trip planning just like Kayak is a part of my (air) trip planning.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I have saved a tremendous amount of money using Priceline. Quite often, you save 50-60% off the best rate available at the hotel's own website.

In over 200 bookings, I have never had a problem with a Priceline booking. Well once, the hotel's server was not working and the clerk had to call the Priceline 800 number.

I have had MORE problems with booking through some of the hotel chain websites where my reservation was "mysteriously lost" on a night that they were sold out.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I've looked at a bunch of sites, both direct booking and online travel agencies (OTAs) and another thing you have to be careful with is comparing apples to oranges. With one or two exceptions, the IHG/Holiday Inn web site will quote prices for London including taxes; the same properties that were showing up cheaper on the OTAs were doing so because they didn't include 20% in the first quoted price. There are also the add-ins- I get internet free in Europe for booking direct with IHG, not sure if I still do if that's the case using an OTA; on the other hand, booking with Expedia gets you some add-ons included with the bare bones Tune hotel chain- book directly with the Tune web site and you pay extra for a room with a window, soap, and a television.

I won't say I'd never book a flight with an OTA, but it would have to be the screaming deal of the century to do so since I've had my fair share of irregular operations and I want to deal directly with the airline for any rebooking needs, not some random call center has to vaguely know something about 87 different airline booking processes but is the master of none.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM

261 posts, read 418,100 times
This past October I went to Indiana and used Priceline to book a room in Tunica. I stayed at Harrah's for 32$.

The following week, on the way back to Texas, Expedia booked me the exact same room at Harrah's in Tunica for 25$.

Either way it was a bargain. A similar room in nearby Memphis or Little Rock would have been well over a 100$.

Last edited by qwertyasdf; 04-14-2014 at 08:29 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
I've booked mostly car rentals and hotels through Orbitz. It's easy, and sometimes Orbitz may have hotel rooms held aside when a call to the hotel tells you they're fully booked. But if you have to cancel a trip, the procedure of getting your money back can take forever. These days I tend to just book car rentals, because they have all available cars and companies displayed conveniently; I go through an old friend at a travel agency for plane tickets, and I call up the hotels directly.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 AM

487 posts, read 748,414 times
I used Hotels.com for a hotel in February for the first, and probably last time. I asked for a three-star with an included breakfast, and the hotel I got was not rated any higher than 2.5 stars anywhere that I could find, so I emailed the company to ask them about this. They said that they take ratings from other sites, but they also use their own ratings system, whatever that may be. This hotel was not a three-star...

Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM

148 posts, read 262,998 times
I can't speak about airlines but hotels..... DEFINITELY book directly through the hotel. If they have a free "member" program join it before making your reservation (Marriott our hotel of choice has a great one). Then call up (CALL, you can check rates on line but actually TALK to a person when you book) the reservations number and be super sweet. I book the least expensive room and then ask, if at all possible, if they can give you a free upgrade (because it's your sister's birthday and you LOVE the hotel and you are SO HAPPY to be staying there) and they will make a note of it and nine times out of ten when you get there you will check into a much nicer room than the one you booked.

Now, booking through these sites..... the hotels see those "customers" as just going for the cheapest price and not loyal like their members (like you!) so they give them all the sh<t rooms right by the elevator, or on the part that faces the highway, or the one with that weird smell... you get the picture. Book through the hotel.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
My own experience is that all of these sites that are supposed to save you money can actually charge you more.

Maybe if you book combos it saves you, I don't know. But so far I've had better luck buying directly from the source.
+1. I fell for that you save money with these services tactic for years. You really don't. Not only that, but I've discovered over the years that "bundle discounts" on many services: insurance, travel, cable TV, etc, don't save you money either. The companies just want to sell you more stuff. I have had nightmares dealing with Expedia when I needed a refund on a ticket. I will never use them again. Also, for hotel accomodation, I suggest you try a bed and breakfast. They often charge the same or less, and you get wonderful personalized service, more comfort, and a more enjoyable stay than at a chain hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJEJB12&2 View Post
Another major issue with using these 3rd party sites is that if there is any kind of issue, frequently the hotel/airline can't assist you. I work for a hotel and whenever there is a booking issue with these 3rd party sites, we can't assist. Plus if you have any service issues it makes getting compensated harder also. As a hotel person, I STRONGLY advise booking directly with a hotel.
You are correct. When I had trouble with a plane ticket I needed to cancel and reschedule through Expedia, US Air couldn't help me since I hadn't booked directly with them.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM

217 posts, read 325,927 times
Kayak has been very good to me. Also, the Hotels Tonight app is outstanding if you're patient enough to wait until that day to get a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel