Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 PM

182 posts, read 264,216 times

Advertisements

What are some of the other ones, and what are the pros/cons of each company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,573 times
My own experience is that all of these sites that are supposed to save you money can actually charge you more.
Example: A couple weeks ago I booked a one-way flight here in the U.S. and I priced it on Orbits, Travelocity, Expedia and Cheapoair, and the plane ticket ranged from $340-$500. So just out of curiousity I went directly to United Airlines website and priced my ticket...$235. Total all tax/fees included. So clearly you can see I would have lost over $100. by using one of those sites that supposedly save you money.

Few years back the same situation happened to me in California when I went to rent a car. All those sites were charging more than going directly into the rental shop where they sometimes offer you face-to-face deals.

Maybe if you book combos it saves you, I don't know. But so far I've had better luck buying directly from the source.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM

26 posts, read 32,745 times
Another major issue with using these 3rd party sites is that if there is any kind of issue, frequently the hotel/airline can't assist you. I work for a hotel and whenever there is a booking issue with these 3rd party sites, we can't assist. Plus if you have any service issues it makes getting compensated harder also. As a hotel person, I STRONGLY advise booking directly with a hotel.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Same as above - always get a better rate going directly to the companies (rental car, hotel, or airlines) website. I have better success looking for deals, coupons, etc outside of those sights.

And for airfare - NEVER use those sights, you will likely end up paying more. Everyone should knows this at this point because it has been repeated so much in this forum. The cheapest rate is always to use a search engine to determine the cheapest route and time, then go to the airline sight and book your flight.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> My own experience is that all of these sites that are supposed to save you money can actually charge you more.

Sometimes yes, but in my experience not often. Usually prices have been just about the same and at least once the travel website was cheaper.

Of all the websites- avoid Travelocity because they add travel insurance to airplane ticket prices by default. You have to be very careful to remove it if you don't want it. Other websites (including my current favorite, Expedia) require that you explicitly choose insurance, decreasing your chances of making a mistake.

I WAS a happy Travelocity customer (they helped with a messed up plane reservation) but I am now completely off them because of the travel insurance issue.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Priceline used to be great, especially for hotels. We've gotten good flights from them in the past but in the past 6-7 years or so, I've never been able to get a 'deal" on a flight. Hotel discounts aren't really very good any more either.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
ALL OF THE ABOVE ^^^^^^^^ ++++Rep points for everyone

Old 04-14-2014, 02:22 PM

182 posts, read 264,216 times
Thank you for that info everyone. I was fooled into thinking those websites could actually save you money.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
I always find better rates by calling the property directly.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
Thank you for that info everyone. I was fooled into thinking those websites could actually save you money.
They do - by pointing me in the direction of the specific hotel or car rental or airline to buy my ticket!

But remember, some airlines do not participate, so you still have to check them individually. Like SouthWest, AirTran, and several discount airlines in Europe and Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel