U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2014, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,670 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Reputation: 7280

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
McDonalds is in almost every country, although the menus are sometimes in the local language. However, I think no matter where you'll go, they'll understand "Big Mac with Fries". If not, raise your voice or go to Burger King. Some countries have American chains, like Applebees, TGI Friday, and Chili's. The hotel buffets are usually a good source of nutrition, as long as it is a chain you can find in the US (Best Western, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.).

Whatever you do, DO NOT go local, unless given a very specific reference by your travel agency. Other countries have lower food hygiene standards, and doing so could be ruin your trip or even your life!!!
LOL…you are joking, right? One of the joys of travelling is to eat local. As for hygiene standards, it really depends on which country you are in. There are places that have the same standards but with higher standards of what can be put in food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2014, 06:59 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
McDonalds is in almost every country, although the menus are sometimes in the local language. However, I think no matter where you'll go, they'll understand "Big Mac with Fries". If not, raise your voice or go to Burger King. Some countries have American chains, like Applebees, TGI Friday, and Chili's. The hotel buffets are usually a good source of nutrition, as long as it is a chain you can find in the US (Best Western, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.).

Whatever you do, DO NOT go local, unless given a very specific reference by your travel agency. Other countries have lower food hygiene standards, and doing so could be ruin your trip or even your life!!!
Try to order a "Big Mac with fries" in India, and let us know how you make out.

Just like Coke products, McDonalds vary greatly by country. In Italy the coffee is brewed very,very, very strong, served in a crockery cup with saucer, and they strictly limit the cream and sugar they will give you, even if you offer to pay more.

Local is perfectly safe in most countries, as long as you use common sense. I will eat street food in some countries, but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM
 
35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times
Reputation: 32409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL…you are joking, right? One of the joys of travelling is to eat local. As for hygiene standards, it really depends on which country you are in. There are places that have the same standards but with higher standards of what can be put in food.

Fully agree. Even in places like Cambodia I have no issues eating in food stalls, and I have a sensitive stomach. I just pick the ones that don't do pre made bins of food, but they cook it right in front of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 09:37 PM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Reputation: 7198
Was cleaning up my treasure chest around house and saw an old receipt from a restaurant in Granada, Spain. It was Restaurante Arrayanes....food was superb! Moroccan dishes...you should check it out! The total bill was 62 Euro for myself and cousin who tagged along. Thought i would pass it along. It is a very tiny restaurant though. I'm not sure if they had an upstairs dining area, but we stayed at ground level. Here is a video someone uploaded to get an idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Reputation: 12552
My idea of Hell would be traveling abroad and being restricted to American food. I've eaten in 15 countries including from Tijuana street carts, and never been sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 PM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Reputation: 7198
I have a weak stomach, otherwise, i wouldn't have issue with eating street food regularly...i definitely couldn't eat this here...i probably would get the runs after this.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDeb7WNU3k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 AM
 
17,249 posts, read 10,169,578 times
Reputation: 28762
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
McDonalds is in almost every country, although the menus are sometimes in the local language. However, I think no matter where you'll go, they'll understand "Big Mac with Fries". If not, raise your voice or go to Burger King. Some countries have American chains, like Applebees, TGI Friday, and Chili's. The hotel buffets are usually a good source of nutrition, as long as it is a chain you can find in the US (Best Western, Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc.).

Whatever you do, DO NOT go local, unless given a very specific reference by your travel agency. Other countries have lower food hygiene standards, and doing so could be ruin your trip or even your life!!!
Thank you, I also enjoy eating fast food in other countries.

Wherever there's a McDonald's or other types of places in a foreign country, I'll be sure to check it out. And so far the taste has been consistent in some places I been to as expected (Japan, Thailand, China, Germany).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 08:33 PM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,351 posts, read 11,876,045 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you, I also enjoy eating fast food in other countries.

Wherever there's a McDonald's or other types of places in a foreign country, I'll be sure to check it out. And so far the taste has been consistent in some places I been to as expected (Japan, Thailand, China, Germany).
Here is how it is in Vietnam(HCMC). The menu is in English with local currency of course. Your order is confirmed on a piece of paper. The taste is consistent and actually better according to these guys.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eayiuUjvYTw


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f33_LxykKdc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Reputation: 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT go local, unless given a very specific reference by your travel agency. Other countries have lower food hygiene standards, and doing so could be ruin your trip or even your life!!!
This is the worst piece of advice concerning travel I have ever read. I always eat local. Everyone should eat local as much as possible. In fact, by continuing to eat 'American' or whatever, you mine as well just cut ten years off your lifespan voluntarily. People are eating so much processed frozen cardboard that the prospect of actually eating something fresh shakes them to the core. What are you so scared of? A non-scheduled bowel movement? That's probably your stomach telling you it's not used to real food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
This is the worst piece of advice concerning travel I have ever read. I always eat local. Everyone should eat local as much as possible. In fact, by continuing to eat 'American' or whatever, you mine as well just cut ten years off your lifespan voluntarily. People are eating so much processed frozen cardboard that the prospect of actually eating something fresh shakes them to the core. What are you so scared of? A non-scheduled bowel movement? That's probably your stomach telling you it's not used to real food.
Speak for yourself. Not all of us eat processed crap. I--along with my family and many of my friends--eat an organic, slow foods lifestyle. To us, "processed" means rolled oats, wild caught fish that have been skinned and de-boned, and organic Greek yogurt. To be honest, I probably eat a less processed diet than your average Western European and even some Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top