U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread on this, but maybe we can start one here. I will start off with Barcelona. I thought La Rita was reasonably priced and great food. What are some restaurants that you recommend while traveling overseas? City and restaurant name:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
The central open-air market in any third world country.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,120,792 times
Traditional Austrian food in Vienna:

Wratschko:
My go-to place for traditional Austrian/Viennese fare. Great beer (Austrian), cozy interior, pork roast, paprika chicken, fair prices (9-13€ for main dishes). Nothing fancy, a place were the locals go.

Gmoa Keller:
A bit more upscale than Wratschko. Mains: 9 - 15€. Right across Konzerthaus and the Akademietheater. Perfect for dinner after attending a concert. Czech beer (Kozel), Cordon Blue, Tafelspitz (traditional Austrian beef), Zwiebelrostbraten (roast beef with onions).

Giorgina:
Despite the Italian name, it's as Viennese as it gets. If I were a tourist, strolling around the alleys of the 1st district, I'd go there for lunch. 2 course lunch menus for ~10€, which is quite okay for a restaurant located in that location.

Trzesniewski:
For a little snack in the afternoon. Lots of different open face sandwiches and beer.

Gasthaus Zur Eisernen Zeit:
Great for lunch after strolling around Naschmarkt (since it's located there). The Goulash is to die for.

Victus und Mili:
The youngest out of these restaurants. Austrian/Bavarian/South Tyrolean food. Not that far away from "Museumsquartier". One of my all-time favourites. A "must go" in my opinion.

Some restaurants to avoid, even though they seem to be extremely popular amongst tourists:
Cafe Central: I felt like I was on an assembly line when I went in for lunch/coffee... Too touristy and expensive.
Sacher: There are better cafes. Go to Demel or Diglas instead.
Plachutta: See Cafe Central.
Figlmüller: Famous for their Schnitzel, seems like only tourists go there, though. I don't get the hype.

Next up: A list for Hong Kong

Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,073 times
I always check on Tripadvisor and I also contribute, reviewing just about any place I eat or stay.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
The problem with restaurants is that some don't stay good for very long. I can remember more than a few times when I went back to a place that I thought was great the time before, only to be disappointed.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 PM

37,974 posts, read 55,724,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why restrict it to the Third World? I ate an excellent food in so called "First" and "Second" world countries.
Anything out of the tourist path is better and more authentic. Look for the crowds, if it's full of people that don't look like tourists - it's the place to try
Don't read recommendations on the tourists websites. Most tourists usually never learn the taste of real authentic, good food.

Quote:
The problem with restaurants is that some don't stay good for very long. I can remember more than a few times when I went back to a place that I thought was great the time before, only to be disappointed.
Sadly, but those are usually "seasonal" places to make a fast buck on the tourist path. They open for a season or two, make money and close. They don't care about reputation, attention to details, pleasing customers, quality of food, continuity etc. They come and go. I don't care about them either.
Find places that has been there "forever" and you chances are that you will get really good food.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 04-20-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Of all the hundreds/thousands of places I've been, I seriously cannot remember restaurant names. I remember good meals, but not the names of the resteraunts themselves.
Plus I would never depend on a tourist to recommend a restaurant because usually: 1.) They pick touristy and overpriced eateries. 2.) Their experience is singular, maybe they just happened to order the right thing or came on a good day; a local or expat yet, but not a tourist.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why restrict it to the Third World? I ate an excellent food in so called "First" and "Second" world countries.
Anything out of the tourist path is better and more authentic.
If the USA is representative of "first world", such a thing is virtually non-existent. In America, it would be nearly impossible for a stranger to locate a "market" that is open every day where full meals would be served, prepared on the spot, by an non-franchised operator. In America, the concept would basically consist of a food court in a mall, unless you were lucky enough to find the wholesale food market in a large city. And even then, state food inspectors would make nearly impossible to operate in such an environment, creating hurdles that only a large chain could afford to jump. Fairly large cities in Europe might have such a market-place, but in the third world, such a market is where everybody buys all their groceries, and would exist in just about any little town, with plenty of sit-down stalls where a family cooks home-style food for the general public.

In the third world, they are ubiquitous and conspicuous, and I wouldn't even think of eating in a proper restaurant instead. But in the first world, it would probably not be worth the effort to search for one.

What you say may be largely true, but I had my reasons for limiting the suggestion to the third world

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Quote:
If the USA is representative of "first world", such a thing is virtually non-existent. In America, it would be nearly impossible for a stranger to locate a "market" that is open every day where full meals would be served, prepared on the spot, by an non-franchised operator.
I've eaten good food in Pike Place Market - Seattle, Reading Terminal Market - Philadelphia, French Quarter - New Orleans, Granville Island Market (this one is in Vancouver Canada), excellent fried chicken in Lexington Market - Baltimore, to name a few. They do exist in the US, although mostly in big cities.

Back to original question, most of the best dishes I've had when traveling were eaten at hole in a wall places that I found by following the locals. Trip Advisor and other popular travel sites are not that useful to me since most of the places listed are typical overpriced tourist spots that won't interest me.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
I agree in theory. It's adventurous, it smells good, do what the locals do... But keep in mind readers - health and cleanliness standards are not in place in some developing countries. You don't know that meat has been out in the hot sun for two days, or the vegetables have been rinsed in the local sewer water, or that the chicken is not really chicken but someones former pet.
Next thing you know, the rest of your vacation is spent on your knees in front of the porcelean God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel