U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,389,506 times

Advertisements

Any question could be worded in a way to be innocuous. AS in "Oh, that's an interesting choice -- what was it about it that made you want to go there?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 04:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,545,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
Depending on how the questions are worded, I don't have a problem with it.
Exactly. If someone asks because they are interested in the place or just travel in general, fine. But if they're asking because they're annoyed by anything different from what they prefer, then rude but still not worth making an issue out of.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,068,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm going to Iran for two weeks in mid-May, and people either think it's really fascinating because they've read or seen shows about the country, or they ask me why I'm going *there*. I'm almost to the point of being rude and saying, "Same reason anyone goes anywhere - to experience a different country and culture." The insinuation is that there's some problem about going there, and I've just gotten tired of explaining that after having been the victim of a rape by a total stranger at age 15, three car break-ins, having my house ransacked while I was on vacation, and being shot at repeatedly in the deserts of southern California while insect collecting by some jerk who was hiding behind something, I consider going to a country where the people love American tourists, with an experienced tour company that goes 4 times a year, to be a lot safer than a lot of places I've lived and traveled to in the U.S.
Interesting point of view (and sorry to hear what has happened to you). I don't think I would choose to go to Iran although you've given me enough of a description I won't ask why you're going.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,068,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
If someone mentions a trip they're taking then it's an open invitation to talk about it. If they didn't want anyone to know about it they wouldn't have brought it up.

I think there's a difference between "I'm going to Toledo this weekend."
"Why?"

and

"I'm going to DC next week."
"Really? For what?"

Depending on tone and phrasing it can be rude but it doesn't have to be. I never ask someone "why" they are going somewhere. If they were vague in their announcement then I'll ask if the trip is vacation or work but if they were specific I ask what they have planned while they're there . . . not an invasive way just a , "Barcelona? That's great! Are you hitting all of the major sites?"
I can see what you're saying here, although I wouldn't even ask "For what?" I can see asking if it's business or pleasure though. The Barcelona question makes sense.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 PM

2,586 posts, read 3,737,707 times
I don't like to ask people this question because I get it all the time when I travel on business and, due to the nature of my work, I don't want to disclose too much information to people I don't know. Some cultures tend to pry more than others, not always out of rudeness but genuine curiousity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or