U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:22 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,750 posts, read 9,053,224 times
Reputation: 11169

Advertisements

I've always thought that was a rude question to ask people and yet it seems like I hear that a lot. Not necessarily directed at me, but even if I mention someone is going somewhere. For example, I had a friend who was visiting San Francisco and I had one friend ask why he was going there and another asking what he was doing there. It didn't occur to me to ask either of these questions as I figure there is plenty to do in San Francisco and the act of getting out of the house and seeing a different place is enough reason for me to travel somewhere. I can see asking someone why they are going somewhere if they were going to a dangerous destination like North Korea, but to about 90% of other destinations I guess I just don't question it and all I tell them to do is have fun and show me pictures when you get back.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
218 posts, read 276,419 times
Reputation: 201
Depending on how the questions are worded, I don't have a problem with it. My assumption is that they want to find out what appeals to the traveler and what they plan on seeing/doing. Maybe they want to give their input, or to learn what stuff can be seen or done in case they may want to go there on a trip one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,566 posts, read 52,739,145 times
Reputation: 70877
Gives you an idea of what they think is fun.
Find out of it is pleasure or business or family sick?
Maybe you can learn of something cool to do somewhere you never thought of.

I don't know...I don't think there really exist any truly rude questions if the intent behind them is to glean useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,750 posts, read 9,053,224 times
Reputation: 11169
Interesting thoughts. I guess I can see asking someone what they plan to do somewhere, but it would depend on how it is worded. Asking the questions "Why are you going to ___________?" seems rude and a bit nosy as well, and asking "What is ________ doing in __________?" seems that way as well. Maybe I just don't ask a lot of questions about someone's travel plans unless I have specific ones about what there is to do somewhere if I think I might visit. So maybe it is all in how you ask the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 11:20 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,745 posts, read 28,807,925 times
Reputation: 43937
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
......... but even if I mention someone is going somewhere. For example, I had a friend who was visiting San Francisco and I had one friend ask why he was going there and another asking what he was doing there. .........
You reply, "Goodness, I have no idea. It would have been too rude to ask them, so I didn't."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,261,951 times
Reputation: 16497
To me it sounds like a completely normal question to ask.

How is that offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,221 times
Reputation: 21
To me it sounds like they could have just been random questions for the sake of conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 05:36 AM
 
32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Reputation: 14967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal Roamer View Post
To me it sounds like they could have just been random questions for the sake of conversation.
I agree with this. Definitely I don't see it as rude if the question is coming from someone your are acquainted with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,566 posts, read 52,739,145 times
Reputation: 70877
The other day, my coworker said, "Oh, I'm going to Napa."

I said, "Oh, yeah? What's that all about?"

"It's my birthday and we're gonna leave the baby for the first time and just do a me and the wife trip and drink wine."

"Oh, that's cool! That'll be a lot of fun! Will you be doing the train...?" etc etc etc

It's just freakin' conversation. He could have said there was a cool conference or it's his brother's funeral or any number of things. Question doesn't have to be rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,073 posts, read 83,735,637 times
Reputation: 41844
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've always thought that was a rude question to ask people and yet it seems like I hear that a lot. Not necessarily directed at me, but even if I mention someone is going somewhere. For example, I had a friend who was visiting San Francisco and I had one friend ask why he was going there and another asking what he was doing there. It didn't occur to me to ask either of these questions as I figure there is plenty to do in San Francisco and the act of getting out of the house and seeing a different place is enough reason for me to travel somewhere. I can see asking someone why they are going somewhere if they were going to a dangerous destination like North Korea, but to about 90% of other destinations I guess I just don't question it and all I tell them to do is have fun and show me pictures when you get back.

Thoughts?
I don't understand your point!! I think asking the question shows curiosity and interest in someone's travel plan. It opens up a chance to discuss a subject that might be very interesting to others. Your answer is fine as well; have a good time and bring back pictures, but asking why or what they expect to see is anything but rude. We are taking a cruise starting in 6 days, I would think the opposite would be true. if we tell people we are going on a cruise and they ask no questions I get the impression they live so much in their own world they could care less about us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top