U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 AM
 
Location: NC
144 posts, read 227,436 times
Reputation: 264

Advertisements

My grandfather is from Puerto Rico and I'm thinking about finally making a trip to the island. I'm planning on visiting in July, which I understand is a low season for tourists, but the high season for locals.

Here's my general 1-week itinerary
- San Juan (Old San Juan especially)
- Arecibo (caves, observatory)
- El Yunque
- Ponce (my grand-dad's city)

It would be my first trip overseas and although PR is much like the States, I'd appreciate some tips in regards to airline tickets, budgeting, places to avoid, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:49 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 53,962,236 times
Reputation: 10530
Just an FYI--Puerto Rico is part of the United States.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2014, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Venus
4,760 posts, read 3,188,746 times
Reputation: 7937
PR in July is HOT!!! But El Yunque is cool-and also a great choice to see.

When you are in the Ponce area, why not take a trip to Guanica. There is the dry forest as well as Gilligan's Island. That is not it's real name but it is basically 3 mangrove islands. It is inhabited and you have to take a ferry out. It is one of the best kept secrets of the island. It has crystal clear waters. Great swimming and some of the best snorkeling in the world. Also, near Guanica is La Parguara that has the Bioluminescent Bay.


We used to fly USAir down there but now we fly JetBlue.



Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,921 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
My grandfather is from Puerto Rico and I'm thinking about finally making a trip to the island. I'm planning on visiting in July, which I understand is a low season for tourists, but the high season for locals.

Here's my general 1-week itinerary
- San Juan (Old San Juan especially)
- Arecibo (caves, observatory)
- El Yunque
- Ponce (my grand-dad's city)

It would be my first trip overseas and although PR is much like the States, I'd appreciate some tips in regards to airline tickets, budgeting, places to avoid, etc.

Thanks
for decent prices on flights I would start with checking Cheapflights or Travelocity. Just one more thing, PR is hotter than blazes in summer, but you can still go and enjoy yourself. Just be prepared for the heat. When we did a land trip we landed at the San Juan airport and rented a car for the week. You can easily do the island and still have time to relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM
 
Location: NC
144 posts, read 227,436 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Just an FYI--Puerto Rico is part of the United States.....
Yeah, I knew that. But I also just noticed there's a U.S. Territories forum. Could you move the thread there? I would probably get more replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
for decent prices on flights I would start with checking Cheapflights or Travelocity. Just one more thing, PR is hotter than blazes in summer, but you can still go and enjoy yourself. Just be prepared for the heat. When we did a land trip we landed at the San Juan airport and rented a car for the week. You can easily do the island and still have time to relax.
I'm from South Florida so I have similar experience with summer heat, though I may have a reduced tolerance since living in NC for the past few years. How much was your car rental for the week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top