U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm planning a possible solo vacation to Little Corn Island around November. I'm wondering if any one else has gone there & if they had any problems planning it? The flight from my city into Managua doesn't get in until evening, hours after the last flight to Big Corn Island leaves, which means I'd have to stay in Managua overnight, losing a day of vacation. Then you fly to Big Corn & then take a ferry to Little Corn Island. Then you do the reverse on the way back however, the return flight out of Managua is so early in the morning that I would have to leave a day early from Little Corn & stay overnight in Managua again because the return trip to Managua would get in after my departure flight leaves. Lol, what a pain in the butt!!! And I've checked flight times from two different cities near me & all of the times are the same. Anyone else have this same problem? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times
Are you from the US? Do you get in from Atlanta or Miami?

I have never been to the corn islands, but I have been to Nica. It's a cheap country but the Best Western or whatever across the airport road has taken advantage of a very unfortunate situation where basically everyone lands after dark and has no desire to taxi in to Managua overnight. I think for a basic room you pay 80-90$ a night there, and it's the only nearby hotel, so you have to suck it up. It's actually nice though and you get some free water bottles and a nice breakfast.

But I don't think there's much you can do about the situation. Basically everyone coming in by air through a non Central American country has to deal with this same timing issue, so you can take comfort in that I guess.

It's supposedly very beautiful and I think you're doing it right by going to Little Corn Island, which is visited less and is apprently much nicer.

Last edited by Jesse44; 04-23-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:06 PM

Yep, I'm in the U.S. Well at least I'm not the only one having this timing issue, lol! I'm thinking I'll just eschew getting a hotel room in Managua & just stay at the airport. I've had massively long layovers in Singapore so I have no problem staying at an airport. Thanks for the reply! I've been wanting to go there for years so I'm pretty excited. Very laid back which is just fine by me!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,448,583 times
Nice, just beware. I had plans to sleep in the airport too, but it's so small that I got shoed out seconds after clearing immigration from all the touts. I Immediately gave up and opted for splurging one night so as not to have to sleep on the floor in that commotion.

Make sure you bring the $15 in USD (2012) or so for the VOA when you land. They weren't thrilled about being paid in Cordobas.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,126,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep, I'm in the U.S. Well at least I'm not the only one having this timing issue, lol! I'm thinking I'll just eschew getting a hotel room in Managua & just stay at the airport. I've had massively long layovers in Singapore so I have no problem staying at an airport. Thanks for the reply! I've been wanting to go there for years so I'm pretty excited. Very laid back which is just fine by me!
An overnight at SIN would be much easier, safer and more comfortable than an overnight at MGA. Spring for the hotel.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:20 AM

37 posts, read 73,443 times
Decent, simply beware. I had arrangements to rest in the landing strip too, yet it’s small to the point that I got shoed out seconds in the wake of clearing migration from all the touts. I Immediately surrendered and decided on rampage spending one night so as not to need to mull over the floor in that upheaval.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Hmm, so my plans to stay at the airport seem like it's going to be foiled. Thanks for letting me know. What is the USD $15 for? Sorry, I researched but not totally. I actually did book my flight already, now I'm just waiting for the place I'm staying to email me my invoice so I can get that taken care of. Anything else I need to know?

Wait, I see, VOA is visa on arrival. Lol, I just looked it up. Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 PM

So anyone who has been to Little Corn, will my iphone work there? I'm assuming so since there is wi-fi at certain places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel