U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM

13,159 posts, read 20,772,581 times

Advertisements

My intrepid son(21) will be traveling to Costa Rica over the holidays next winter, and then on to Chile for a couple of months collecting research in the rain forest. He's very familiar with CR now, having spent 6 months there, but has never been to Chile.

I see nothing of any concern on the State Dept site, does anybody have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,334,714 times
My sister and her husband visited Chile in 2013. Overall, their visit was a wonderful experience full of meetings with the best kind of people. However, they rented a car for their trip, and stopped at one point at a local park in a small town. They exited the car for about twenty minutes, in which time a window was broken and all of their belongings were taken. Of course this can happen anywhere, but they do think they were targeted for obviously being foreign. They also admitted to being somewhat ignorant with their actions beforehand. Just what I've heard from them, hope it helps.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
I'm living in Chile. Very safe, absolutely nothing at all to worry about.

Chile is safer than Costa Rica.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Here is some interesting information:

Chile

Travel Advice and Advisories for Chile

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security

Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 AM

13,159 posts, read 20,772,581 times
Thanks to all.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Minor crime, pickpocket sort of thing. There is a culture that believes that if they can carry it off, it is theirs, so don't leave anything valuable sitting around unattended.

If you get all the way to the southern end of Chile, there are strikes just about every summer and the roads are barricaded and nobody can get in or out. Near as I can figure out, they are striking for more government benefits. Striking for cheaper heating oil seems to be a favorite.

I don't think anyone has ever been hurt, but it is uncomfortable and inconvenient. Tires burning in the street sort of thing, not lynchings. The government doesn't appear to do anything about it except for wait until everyone gets tired of it and goes home, thereby opening up the roads again.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 AM

607 posts, read 1,059,157 times
Chile is very safe. I spent a summer working there and really enjoyed it. Like other commenters said, there are lots of protests, especially by students, but they don't typically last long. There was recently a huge wildfire problem in the Valparaiso, Chile area though. From my understanding through friends in that area, large parts of the city are still charred. So, it's safe but many attractions may be closed....if he's planning to head to that area.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snd485 View Post
Chile is very safe. I spent a summer working there and really enjoyed it. Like other commenters said, there are lots of protests, especially by students, but they don't typically last long. There was recently a huge wildfire problem in the Valparaiso, Chile area though. From my understanding through friends in that area, large parts of the city are still charred. So, it's safe but many attractions may be closed....if he's planning to head to that area.
That's where I live more or less. If he comes as a tourist he would be 100% unaffected by the effects of the fire. It pretty much burned down the houses of the poor and displaced thousands of people, but didn't really affect the attractions. It just hurt the poor people.

I'm actually going to be in Valparaiso getting some pizza with my girlfriend today.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM

I should note, I do not live in Santiago... but a bit more caution has to be taken in Santiago than most of the other cities in the country. Santiago is a very big city and is definitely not the safest city in the country. I haven't really spent much time at all in Santiago, but I didn't find it unsafe.. but it's definitely less safe than most of the other cities in the country. There's nothing to worry about, just more caution to be taken. Comes with being a bigger city.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:24 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Safer than most middle income countries; just have a plan on how to act if an earthquake strikes. The country gets its fair share of them these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or