U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:06 AM

22,669 posts, read 28,697,836 times

Advertisements

If you like California style Mexican, then San Diego. There ae superb Mexican restaurants and they are also reasonable in price. If you know where to go, there is top quality pizza, Greek, and fish, too. San Diego also offers tons of things to do that are not eating.

If you like outdoors activities as well as superb food, then Bend, Oregon. This small town is packed full of excellent restaurants of all sorts. it appears that everyone hopes to retire and open a restaurant and they move to Bend to do it. There are so many restaurants, that any place that serves ordinary food is soon out of business; a restaurant has to be really good to compete.

I wasn't impressed with anywhere in France. I thought food was average and over-priced and servings were stingy. Maybe if you can afford to spend $500 per plate, or more, to eat in the highest rated restaurants, it would be different. I liked shopping in their grocery store-type shops, though, and the fresh baked bread was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,690 times
1. Lisbon, Portugal- way better food than anything I had in Rome, Paris, or the whole of Spain.
2. Los Angeles
3. Mexico City- amazing food heaven.
4. Sao Paulo, Brazil.
5. Baja California, Mexico. Currently home to a budding food scene that combines Mexican, very fresh seafood and Mediteranean influences into unique delicious creations. There are so many good restaurants there at this moment.

I am also a lover of all Asian and Middle Eastern foods but have not had the pleasure of eating in any cities in those areas, so my experience is limited.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
Interesting to see how many times New Orleans has come up. I guess I sort of expected it… is it just for the creole food or are there are a lot more varied places than that?

I agree about the Mexican food in San Diego. I was just there. Ceviche Platter at La Espacial Norte in Encinitas is always a highlight!

Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
NYC is surprisingly disappointing to me. Sure, there are some good restaurants, but outside of pizza and delis, there isn't much local flair to NYC cuisine.

That's why I prefer Charleston and New Orleans. The food offerings there are a better reflection of the local culture.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
New Orleans and southern Louisiana
Cajun
Creole
Seafood heaven

Dam now I want me some crawfish and beingets

Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Definitely New Orleans. They have seafood, Cajun, soul food, Creole, and seafood (I love seafood!). I found my freshest, plumpest, oysters inside the market in French Quarter. Go to New Orleans in spring when it's not too humid and better yet, go during their annual Jazz Festival.

NYC has a lot of local flavors if you do your research right. Aside from local flavors, NYC also offers a variety of authentic foreign food / desserts / you name it. If you fancy authentic French Macarons or French chocolates without the bother of flying to Paris, well, they have Ladure (their macarons are supposedly flown from Ladure's flagship store in Paris daily) and Le Maison Du Chocolat.

Vancouver, Canada - great seafood and their Granville Island market is one of the best farmers market I've had the pleasure to visit. It's a huge indoor market right by Vancouver's downtown waterfront. Whatever you want, fresh produce, meat, flowers, cheese, wine, tea & coffee selections from all over the world, bakery, freshly made sausages, jewelries, leather products, it's all there. Because our travel is always food oriented, we make it a point to visit markets (open air or indoor) whereever we go, and this place is North America's best IMO. If you ever visit Vancouver, do not miss this place.

Seattle and San Francisco - both have superb fresh seafood and great choices for american or authentic foreign food.

Chicago - from chicago deep dish pizza to Indian Moghul dish. Yum!

Memphis - I don't care what anyone says, Memphis has the best southern BBQ, period!

There were other American cities we visited that had good food but those were the ones we visited more than once due to their food alone.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I would recommend trying Cajun food not to be confused with much of food in New Orleans which is mostly Creole. Creole is also good but different. New Orleans with both city tho is perhaps the most unique in country for original food.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,386,904 times
My one and only would be New Orleans. I'm not a super picky eater, but the food in New Orleans was to die for. And it's a trip I'd make just to eat the food.

Love the food in Hawaii, but I'm a big fish-eater.

The only place internationally that I was surprised and very pleased with the food was Norway. Loved it.

Not overly impressed with what I ate in Paris, Italy, or any of the other places others have mentioned. Italy was better than France, but Spain was probably the best of the rest.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
My favorite food destinations:

Chicago
Lafayette/Abbeville, LA for Cajun food
Lockhart-Luling-Elgin, TX for BBQ
Salt Lake City for hamburgers and moles
Elko, NV for Basque
Minneapolis

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times
All the responses have been good. I'm really seeing two different things in them:
1. Places with their own great regional food (Creole in NO, Mexican, etc)
2. Places with a wide variety of world class food offerings (NY, SF, etc)

Granted, the line between the two are blurry, but is more the latter that I'm interested. New Orleans sounds like a great food destination to me and I plan to go there someday for that reason (a lot cheaper to get to than Paris too) but New York is a truly great 'food' city to me because they have some many different quality offerings even though most of it as migrated in from other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or