Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
hahaha.. well I know there are teams of chasers out there that have their own brand and company and they actually offer tours. So basically you're riding with the experts for however many days that the trips are offered. So you're always safe since they're the ones driving and navigating the storms.

However... as a weather buff myself it'd certainly be fun to learn how to be a weather spotter!
Generally weather spotting has always had a lower popularity associated with it, but the plus side of this is you LEARN more without getting into danger. for example; you're on a chasing expedition down south, in a van load full of people. You find yourself to the east of the shelf cloud and your GPS stops updating to give you directions. What do you do? What should your guide do? Off topic here, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:41 AM

217 posts, read 325,833 times
Hit up California and the Northwest (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland)
Ibiza to see if it lives up to the party hype.
I've been all over Greece, including Santorini, but I want to stay at a Santorini hotel that has a perfect Aegean view.
Melbourne and Sydney, Australia - See the Aussie Open
Be at a Champions League and World Cup final.
In general, go to as many sporting venues as possible.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I'd like to take the train to Lhasa.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
I really want to blow up my camera, snapping shots of the Nat'l parks and Portland parks and ... well the whole damn state of Oregon! Not to mention some quality camping and biking!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
So I actually wanted to be a storm chaser because I love bad weather but that quickly went down the drain when I realized I was horrible with math and science lol.

But those storm chasing excursions is how I would do it. But they are expensive!
Me and you both... I've always had a love for meteorology growing up but I was too stupid at the advanced math's and science's in school to be able to go for a Meteorology degree.

Yeah those chasing tours are expensive... when I first met my wife before we were married she had planned to save up money and surprise me on my 30th birthday and send me on one of those chasing tours. Needless to say I'm 30 now... closer to 31 and it never happened, LOL!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:06 PM

38 posts, read 82,223 times
A lengthy xcountry road trip last year helped me cross off loads from my bucket list...but it also inspired me to add even more back onto the list! And the great thing about the road trip is you see and experience so much more than you even knew existed.

Some of my road trip highlights that I'd definitely recommend
Anything in Montana is fabulous. Our road trip was last September and we already went back for a long weekend in Missoula. Western Montana is magical. From the Flathead to the Bitterroot Valley, it's breathtaking.
Hug a Redwood in Northern Cali (trust me, it's moving)
Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and the beautiful new Bay Bridge
Sleep under the stars at the Grand Canyon
Drive in a Texas thunderstorm

I'd love to hit up all of the National Parks, especially:
- Drive the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier
- Explore Yosemite
- Yellowstone!
It would be really great to get one of those passbooks and get a stamp for each park.

Some other items:
Machu Picchu
Pompeii
Teotihuacan
Hawaii
Ireland
Germany

I know some of those are broad but I just want to go to places and not have an agenda.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerae View Post
A lengthy xcountry road trip last year helped me cross off loads from my bucket list...but it also inspired me to add even more back onto the list! And the great thing about the road trip is you see and experience so much more than you even knew existed.

Some of my road trip highlights that I'd definitely recommend
Anything in Montana is fabulous. Our road trip was last September and we already went back for a long weekend in Missoula. Western Montana is magical. From the Flathead to the Bitterroot Valley, it's breathtaking.
Hug a Redwood in Northern Cali (trust me, it's moving)
Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and the beautiful new Bay Bridge
Sleep under the stars at the Grand Canyon
Drive in a Texas thunderstorm

I'd love to hit up all of the National Parks, especially:
- Drive the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier
- Explore Yosemite
- Yellowstone!
It would be really great to get one of those passbooks and get a stamp for each park.

Some other items:
Machu Picchu
Pompeii
Teotihuacan
Hawaii
Ireland
Germany

I know some of those are broad but I just want to go to places and not have an agenda.
Love those! They aren't the typical ones you hear.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
Here are some ideas for a bucket list (all are summer time type activities):

* Staying in a cliffside hotel in Murren, Switzerland with a balcony and view of the entire Lauterbrunnen Valley.

* Winning the yearly Yosemite High Sierra Camps Lottery which allows you to hike up and between several high altitude lodges that are only available to a select few lottery winners each year.

* Taking a rental car to Bergen Norway and then traveling from there to the Geiranger Fjord (making sure you take the route of off of 60 to 15 and finally highway 63).

* Taking the time to figure out the Alaskan Marine Highway System to actually use that for a 2-4 week trip through Southeast Alaska versus a cruise ship. Pick out Bed and Breakfast places along the way and make sure you include places such as Sitka, Gustavus and Tracy Arm Fjord.

* Splurging to stay in a nice resort in Ubud that overlooks the river and terraced rice patty farms (Ubud is outside of Bali Indonesia).

* Going to the sun road in Glacier Montana

* Start in Vancouver, BC and stay near Stanley Park. Drive to Whistler and zip line and take the worlds longest unsupported cable car (Peak to Peak). Then take the long drive over to the Canadian Rockies starting in Jasper and then onto Banff but making sure you can fly out of and drop your rental off in Calgary.

* Cinque Terra Italy - the five coastal hamlet/cities made famous by Rick Steves. Walk the trail and take the train and take in the beauty.

* Trying bits of Eastern Europe instead of always going to London/Paris/Rome (although all three of those are a must too :-)): Poland, Prague, Budapest, Austria, etc.

* Multiday (3 - 5 day) guided kayak excursion either through the San Juan Islands in Washington State or through the oceans of British Columbia.

* Either a child only or entire family camp vacation at the Orcas Island YMCA Camp Orkila

* Guided mountain bike tour from Mount Bachelor all the way down and through the famous bike trails leading into Bend Oregon and then after a quick shower experience all of the home grown craft beer locations via a circular cycle pub tour through downtown Bend. Oh yeah and if you wake up the next day and can still move after that bike ride rent a SUP at the Old Mill District on the Desuchetes River.

* Base yourself in Florence Italy for a few days and then REALLY experience Tuscany = take trains and stay in several cities in the Tuscany region.

And finally slowing down and make the planning of all your trips almost as exciting as the trip itself. Planning can be so rewarding if you want to do it and get pleasure out of researching the journey and destinations ahead of time.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
I have always wanted to go to Tibet. High Steppe is not that inspiring as a landscape, but I have always wanted to go.

I have a motorcycle trip planned with my adult kids this summer that includes: Teton NP, Yellow Stone NP (and Bear Tooth Pass), Glacier NP (and Going to the sun road), and Craters of the Moon.

I want to do a simular family motorcycle trip on the Pacific Coast Highway (both directions) - maybe in the summer of '15 or '16.

A river cruise of Europe.

Alaska cruise and visit to Kenai Fjords and Denali Park.

Take a bike ride on the Great Wall of China

Those are the ones I am working on.

I have a freind who has been in 176 countries, traveling as a single woman on a small disability pension - man does she have some great stories!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
I have two ideas to throw out there.

- See Kauai by helicopter. I don't think I've seen anywhere so beautiful, especially viewing the Na Pali Coast by air.

- See the sunrise at Haleakala National Park on Maui. You actually are above the clouds and it's the most amazing thing to be standing on a volcano and view the sun coming from above the clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel