Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Are you in the Navy? Just asking with you being in Goose Creek and Hawaii. My husband is a military man too

I didn't even think of that either, how SC is known for their friendliness. Charleston has been named the friendliest city in America.

And FYI to some previous comments, if you can't answer the question with a legit answer, no need to waste anyone's time writing a few words that has nothing to do with the thread. Everyone's perception of someone being rude is different from each other. Get over it.
Yes I was in the Navy. I was in Goose Creek for NNPT subs there.

Small word of advice if you will. I was fortunate, or unfortunate depending on your view, to be able to live in many places around the US in my short stay in the Navy. The only part of the coastal country I didnt live in or stay for a significant period of time was Alaska and the Washington/Oregon area. Out of all that, the only place I would pick to live in again is Charleston. Lots to love about it and the people. Sure if I was single then Florida or Hawaii would probably be at the top but as far as a place to buy a home....none beat Charleston. So I would enjoy it while you can, before you find yourself moving.

I can't stand all these Buffalo Wild Wings joints springing up. So many people are enamored with the place around here. All I see is a very poor imitation of a Wild Wing Cafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
All people can be rude.

Locals can be rude in their snotty, rather superior attitudes towards tourists.

Tourists can be rude, in not remembering that they're not alone in the place they're vacationing.

Both can be rude in expecting everyone around them to be experiencing the same thing they are, at the same moment they're experiencing it. And in not remembering that cultural norms are not the same everywhere.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Koreans, and Chinese seem to be the rudest, although a couple Italians gave them a run for their money one time. Gah.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
A lot of tourists out of their hometown comfort zone can get squirrely. And a lot of tourists that are normally rude at home are just as rude everywhere else.
Some of the rudest/disrespectful I've seen were those from Japan at the AZ Memorial in Hawaii.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I go abroad on holiday a lot. Sometimes I am mortified by the behaviour of my fellow British citizens. We go most everywhere, but our destinations of choice are Spain and Greece. Many folks, especially families behave themselves quite well. But many of the young run riot. They get drunk, behave badly. I have seen drunken young men laid out at the bottom of a lamp post in Benidorm in Spain. Just collapsed in a heap on the floor, with local Spanish people stepping over them with disgusted expressions on their faces.

We are off to Tunisia in north Africa next week. This is a muslim country. There are few bars for the English to get rowdy in, most drinking is done in the hotels, and behaviour overall isn't too bad. The older people are fine, and know how to behave, and represent England to foreigners. Last visit, we were sat around the pool at the hotel. I was mortified when a young, heavily pregnant woman, took off her top, and paraded around the pool topless. The expression on the young muslim waiters faces had to be seen. They were obviously shocked, and I guess they see things working in hotels most Tunisians never see.

I try to represent my country in a good way. I am polite and well mannered. When I visit Las Vegas, I hold doors open for Americans and smile. Sometimes I get ignored, as others say happens, but on occasion, I get a "thank you." I find Americans in the main, to be well mannered and polite. May be I've just been lucky......

Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
The same is true in Paris. Seriously, can you imagine living there with hordes of tourists who speak every language except French trooping up and down the streets 365 days a year? Yet we say the French are rude? I know I would be very short-tempered much of the time if I happened to be Parisian.

Living in Paris, I can testify it's moot here : yes , tourists are (sometimes) rude, but local Parisians are not reputed for being excessively "genteel" either.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:50 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I've never really seen a rude tourist that I'm aware of. I'm not really a 'high-end' vacation kind of person though, which is probably where more of the stuck-up tier of people come out of. Most seem almost embarassed to interact or bother the local population.
Quite the opposite for us. They more money we have spent, the less of the loud, obnoxious, insensitive, inconsiderate types we have run into.

In Hawaii, no one has topped the Japanese for outright disgusting behavior in all the times I have been there (and when I lived there).

Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I try to represent my country in a good way. I am polite and well mannered. When I visit Las Vegas, I hold doors open for Americans and smile. Sometimes I get ignored, as others say happens, but on occasion, I get a "thank you." I find Americans in the main, to be well mannered and polite. May be I've just been lucky......
I don't think you're just lucky. I also find Americans to be generally polite. The comment about New Englanders is also generally true. They tend to interact with people they know- it's a legacy of British reserve. However, if you ask a direct question, they will usually be very helpful. Where I live, it's foreigners who don't acknowledge doors being held open, etc with Chinese being the worst offenders. Just a cultural thing I guess.

But when in Rome, you should do as the Romans do as the saying goes....

Old 04-28-2014, 06:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
My wife loves the good manners she experiences in America. From the young men she gets m'am this, and m'am that........ until someone told her this is how 'older' ladies are spoken to!!

Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Tourists aren't rude, people are rude.

I've grown up in the tourist industry, my background is quite extensive, and for the most part, tourists are very friendly because they are thrilled to be on vaycay.

My mother's family goes back hundreds of years in Charleston and except for very rare instances, I've never had tourists be rude to me.

Also, I don't poll people and ask if they are tourists so I can't automatically spot all tourists. Unless they are checking into one of my hotels, I have no idea if the people at SNOB are tourists or locals.
I'm not polling anyone........

Before living in Charleston, I lived in Myrtle Beach and worked at both a resort and watersports place. For some reason, the people there acted different. Sorry my personal observation is offensive to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel