U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,844,272 times

Advertisements

I used to enjoy the atmosphere as well. As a child, we lived relatively close o a small airport that happened to have a good restsurant in it. We used to go their for pencil occasions then watch the p,anes come and go.

Later in life I used to go to a nearby airport with friends and spend time in the bar - watching travelers come and go. The atmosphere now is totally differant. It is no longer a place I enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:35 AM

15,523 posts, read 17,750,904 times
I love going to airports the way that dogs love going to the vet.

Once I am past security, it's not so bad, but basically, airports are an authoritarian nightmare where you have no expectation of privacy or control over your own life. Also, they are full of very stressed out people, expensive, poor food, and often not very clean.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,445,589 times
I adore airports. Even after dozens upon dozens of flights, I still get a particular little happy feeling in an airport. I love seeing all the people and thinking about where they came from and where they are going. I enjoy the idea that each person/couple/family is in its own little bubble, doing their own thing, but we are still all joined together in this liminal space between “here” and “there.” Perhaps it is sappy and trite, but for me that magic never wears off.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
I thought I was the only one who felt this way about airports. Glad to see I'm not. (I do wish, though, that they'd let non-ticketed passengers through security again. The airport reunion scene is so much better at the gate than at the security checkpoint.)

Old 04-30-2014, 01:54 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
This is probably weird to some people, but I love the airport. Sure there are some things that we all hate like long waits in security lines, security in general(although it keeps us safe), waiting for baggage, the large crowds, and the occasional rude airport employee. But there's something about it that I really like- I love to travel and I think the excitement of going somewhere else sets in. I also love that in a sense its a "gateway to the world." There are many different destinations, and even if I'm not going to an exotic place, its still cool to know that you are just a flight away and that there are people there who are going to that particular place. I love seeing different people from around the world in one place. I also love watching the planes take off and land outside of the big window while waiting for my own flight.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else love the airport?
I can easily list the things I hate about them more then love. You get easily jaded when you have a 21 hour flight from Shanghia back to the US heartland, and a layover of 4 hours in Narita. I don't care if it's Tokyo - for me it's a prison.
My only interest in an airport is if they have a good Skyclub where I can get an adult beverage with some peace and quite.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM

15,265 posts, read 12,589,734 times
Hate them but my hubby loves in the airport and everything about it.... he doesnt even mind a delay and goes walkabout round the place....

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,058,411 times
Before 9/11 I LOVED airports. I could walk around them for hours and just people watch without getting bored. I loved the moving walkways too. I liked watching planes take off and land. I liked watching people reunite and say goodbyes. And all my flying experiences were positive at that time. I was either flying to Hawaii or flying home or taking my favorite airline, Midwest Express (free chocolate chip cookies, beverages, plenty of leg room), so flying was a wonderful experience.

Since 9/11 I've been chosen for additional screening EVERY time I've flown (only like 15 times but still). I think I must give off a creepy vibe because I always get randomly selected. Some of those screeners are very thorough. You would think they would give me a voucher for a free lunch or something. I walk away feeling violated and traumatized. When I go to the airport now, I just assume the position because I know I'm gonna get harassed. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but I hate the accusatory nature of these searches or fingerprinting. I've never committed a crime in my life, but I feel like a criminal when I go through airport security. So yeah, any enjoyment that I derive from going to the airport has dissipated because of the post-9/11 security measures. The in-flight experience is worse than ever too, not to mention the way airlines "nickel and dime" everybody for everything now.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM

856 posts, read 590,457 times
Agree Jambo101 - Hanging at the airport (inside & out) was how my son became interested in flying. Is now his career. I can't see anything happening like that now days. This Sunday, we are to fetch a guest from the airport. Once was, you could go to the gate, watch them land, de-plane & greet. Now I will have to go down to the baggage area. And when we take him back for return trip, we can go no further than Delta counter. No greeting & seeing folks off any more. When kids were young, I could go early to pick someone up & the kids could observe runways, take-offs, landings, jet-way workings, etc. Progress..... (and terrorism, I guess)

Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM

4,495 posts, read 2,884,522 times
I don't love them... I'd still only go to them to travel, but some of them look swanky, classy, jazzed up with scultures and art.

I'd like 'em even more if the food and stuff in general weren't as expensive. Otherwise, like a shopping mall where planes take off.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:57 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,184,007 times
There are airports I love and airports I hate.

My personal favorites are Amsterdam (amazingly nice customs / security officials) and Shannon, Ireland (Dublin is nice as well).

My least favorite are Ft. Lauderdale (extremely poor service, bad management) and Frankfort Germany (really annoying customs / security).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel