U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM

12,645 posts, read 15,099,803 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot for work, so no, I really don't love the airport. (I've been stranded for hours at many of them, due to flight delays and cancellations.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 PM

4,647 posts, read 5,389,240 times
Ask Edward Snowden.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 AM

17,447 posts, read 21,283,365 times
Being low income, I hate these Airports, when you get hungry, and there's only very expensive restaurants to choose from, and the gift stores are just as merciless with their high-priced candy and snacks.

I love LAX! There, they have a McDonald's with the Dollar Menu where I can get a burger for a buck! Won't find that at this greedy Airport here in Las Vegas!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

14,267 posts, read 24,029,111 times
I know that this is odd but I used to enjoy heading to the airport and watching jets take off. That was before you needed a ticket to go past security

Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
This is probably weird to some people, but I love the airport. Sure there are some things that we all hate like long waits in security lines, security in general(although it keeps us safe), waiting for baggage, the large crowds, and the occasional rude airport employee. But there's something about it that I really like- I love to travel and I think the excitement of going somewhere else sets in. I also love that in a sense its a "gateway to the world." There are many different destinations, and even if I'm not going to an exotic place, its still cool to know that you are just a flight away and that there are people there who are going to that particular place. I love seeing different people from around the world in one place. I also love watching the planes take off and land outside of the big window while waiting for my own flight.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else love the airport?
I wouldn't say I love most airports that much, but I get what you mean, I sort of like the atmosphere of people going places and it being a 'gateway' as you say. Some airports are enjoyable to be in in themselves, Singapore Changi, Hong Kong, KLIA. Some like LAX are really underwhelming and the rude immigration officials sort of soured my entry into the US of A.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,845,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I know that this is odd but I used to enjoy heading to the airport and watching jets take off. That was before you needed a ticket to go past security
Some airports have an observation deck that is accessible to non-traveling public. Raleigh-Durham has one with a little play area, grassy area and tables.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM

7,958 posts, read 5,063,154 times
Mixed feelings here. I'm a frequent traveler, loosely resembling Ryan Bingham in "Up in the Air": I crave hotel and frequent-flyer points, regarding myself as being "at home" while in transit, and largely disregard my so-called permanent domicile. Airports are gateways, windows to the world. People in airports tend to be more attractive than in general life. They are more purposeful, more adroit. Airports are scenes of activity – a welcome contrast from my rural locale. But as others have mentioned, the incessant security announcements, the increasingly full flights, the overcrowding and overall loss of cachet of the flying experience, have substantially attenuated the majesty and appeal of the airport experience.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,039,978 times
I love airports, airplanes, and everything about them. That is why I choose my career where I have to go to the airports everyday and I fly on planes for a living...you are not alone my friend!

Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,974,678 times
I remember going to LAX and watching the 747s take off back in the early '70s. Then, the DC10s, It was cheap entertainment in those days for college kids. Now, I dread it, going through security, waiting around. The people watching is the only thing I can say I halfway enjoy.

Amsterdam is my favorite airport ( if I have one) and DeGaul in Paris is the worst! Never seen such an overcrowded terminal and half -a$$ place. It is worse than any airport in the US.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:19 PM

7,751 posts, read 9,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
This is probably weird to some people, but I love the airport. Sure there are some things that we all hate like long waits in security lines, security in general(although it keeps us safe), waiting for baggage, the large crowds, and the occasional rude airport employee. But there's something about it that I really like- I love to travel and I think the excitement of going somewhere else sets in. I also love that in a sense its a "gateway to the world." There are many different destinations, and even if I'm not going to an exotic place, its still cool to know that you are just a flight away and that there are people there who are going to that particular place. I love seeing different people from around the world in one place. I also love watching the planes take off and land outside of the big window while waiting for my own flight.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else love the airport?
I agree with you. I LOVE airports. Sure, security sucks but as you said it keeps us safe and I've really only had one long wait in security. I agree, it is a gateway to the world and it's fun to see people coming and going. People watching is probably my favorite thing to do in one. I also enjoy going to the shops and/or restaurants. Which one is your favorite? I like Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel