U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,385,532 times

Advertisements

When I was in the Air Force stationed in Alaska, I hopped a military flight from Elmendorf to Tokyo. It was easy. "Be here and ready to board at 9:30 a.m. I was and did. I expected the same coming back, but when I went to sign in for the next flight to Anchorage I was told there was a waiting list and it would be 12-18 hours. Screw that. I asked when I could get the next flight to Okinawa, as I knew there were a lot of C141s that flew the route (coming back from Nam). "An hour." So I grabbed the next flight, got to Okinawa and signed up to catch a flight back to Alaska. OMG! "5-7 days. You've got to be here when your name is called." So I spent 5 days waiting in the Air Force terminal, then caught a flight to Los Angeles and bought a ticket from there to Anchorage.

No, I'm not crazy about airport terminals!

Like many others, I used to, back in the 60s. I'd often take dates to Omaha's Eppley Field for dinner and then hang out on the deck to watch planes come and go. Can't do that now. Can't hang out on the deck, can't date other women.:/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
Airports can be fun. The beginning of an adventure. Seeing all the different gates with all the different destinations and all the different flights coming and going. All the interesting people. To be sure, some airports are better than others.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
I love being in airports.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 PM

12,291 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I know that this is odd but I used to enjoy heading to the airport and watching jets take off. That was before you needed a ticket to go past security
Me too. For several years I did not fly at all but still visited the airport at least once a year. So much to see, lots of activity. And you could go to the gate to meet arriving passengers.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:46 PM

43,546 posts, read 52,637,306 times
My son loves them.

But he is 2.5

Old 05-04-2014, 04:50 PM

4,970 posts, read 4,514,015 times
If I'm going on a flight, there's nothing to really love about them, no. The whole process of security, checking in (though it can be done online now) and waiting, waiting in the departure lounge, and all the people around.

However, especially as a kid, I used to love going to airports in the days they had observation stands and you could watch the planes. Now those days are long gone so there is little point in enjoying it. That said, my nearest airport, Manchester Airport, has a very good viewing area set up alongside the runway, for enthusiasts. Very thoughtful. That is generally a thing of the past at most airports now.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:13 PM

43,546 posts, read 52,637,306 times
When I was a kid, we lived in Indonesia but came back to the US every year. We went to Singapore all the time for medical care. We went to Europe a bit and all over Asia.
This was the 70s/80s.
The airports all over the world were fascinating, exotic places, as were the destinations and fellow passengers. You were spoiled by the airplane staff and you would get all kinds of goodies and robes and toiletry bags and toys, etc.
Now everything is so homogenized and banal. And all the security nonsense is a pain. The planes are like giant flying buses with surly employees, broken seats, and even international travel has tanked.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,158,942 times
Depends on which airport, and the mood you arrive in. A flight in first class makes reaching your destination Joyous, but you need to rack up a lot of mileage points for that. I used up my chance already.

But here is my opinion. I loved DXB and Changi, just fascinating. IGI T3 comes a close second. Brussels and London T5 are nice. Newark and Charles De Gaul can wipe my butt.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,950,819 times
I love airports! Great people watching places.

I also love travel plazas on Interstates for the same reason.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,158,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I love airports! Great people watching places.

I also love travel plazas on Interstates for the same reason.
Ah another fellow plane lover . For me, nothing beats seeing a 787 landing in my birthplace Chennai. My grandpa has a picture of this airport from the 50's when it was just an airstrip. It has come a long way from back then :

Air India 787 inaugural flight to Chennai - YouTube

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 05-04-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel