U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM

2,703 posts, read 4,676,104 times

Advertisements

I love them, I think it's because the sights, sounds, feelings, the smell of coffee, etc. that you get in an airport are only something I experience when going on vacation. Getting away from work and home to some fun, exciting place- that it's a rush to be there. It starts even at the beginning of the process- parking in the long term lot, getting luggage out of the car, getting on the little shuttle that takes you to the terminal- just so thrilling as we anticipate the excitement of that trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,541,252 times
I do but I hate the security.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:32 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used to like em as you could sit and watch all the airport activities inside and out.Now airports have changed,you cant sit and watch the planes anymore as airside views seem to have been walled over, also once the people you are seeing off go through security its the last you see of them, and parking costs have become way too expensive.
These days my experiences with airports are relegated to just a drive by to pick some one up or to drop some one off.
Pretty broad statement. I watch the planes all the time at YVR. In fact they even have a special viewing platforms, one indoors, and one outdoors.

YVR > Our Blog > Spring Break Activities that don

Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM

541 posts, read 977,603 times
YES! Love them, for all that I associate them with, I love to travel.

I life in suburb not too far from Hatsfield(Atlanta's airport) and whenever I drive by I play a game with myself and whomever is in the car "let's guess where that plane is going."

Old 05-07-2014, 02:40 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,627,078 times
I love airports, always have. They have an energy about them you don't find elsewhere. I love to get there way before I need to and just make myself comfy (which is a little silly given I'm going to be stuck sitting on a plane for hours). I also love to walk around and see where all the flights are heading off to. I love the marvel of waking up in WA and going to bed that night somewhere else. And I love the feeling of being home I get when I arrive back at PDX. I really love landing at them as that means the plane didn't explode.

The only one I've had a bad experience in was O'Hare when I was in college and started choking on a Jelly Belly. Guy across from me finally asked if I was okay. I shook my head no and he went back to reading his paper. It was a REALLY long time since I ate Jelly Bellies again and it's just worked out I haven't been back through O'Hare though I do have a layover there in October.

Every now and then I check to see if they have any open accounting positions because I think it would be interesting to work for one.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 AM

2,773 posts, read 2,499,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I love them, I think it's because the sights, sounds, feelings, the smell of coffee, etc. that you get in an airport are only something I experience when going on vacation. Getting away from work and home to some fun, exciting place- that it's a rush to be there. It starts even at the beginning of the process- parking in the long term lot, getting luggage out of the car, getting on the little shuttle that takes you to the terminal- just so thrilling as we anticipate the excitement of that trip.
I get excited too when I go to the parking lot and onto the shuttle! And I see you are from the Seattle area too...odds are we may use that very same long term parking lot and shuttle!

Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,752,668 times
I used to love airports and found flying to be exciting. Now we travel so much that I find airports somewhat stressful.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM

3,746 posts, read 7,045,594 times
I also have an excitement/like of airports. Like others, I certainly don't like the lines and the cattle calls (I'm looking at you, Southwest!)...who does? But there's something about the anticipation of going somewhere. It's still pretty amazing to think that I'm going to step on a plane and in a few hours when I step off again I could be on a different continent; when just a few decades ago it wasn't available to most people and a century ago it wasn't available to anyone. I really try to not take it for granted nor let the annoying minutia of air travel get me down.

I will often let my mind wander especially in security lines...wondering where the family with kids is going to...or the older couple...or the businessman. Maybe it is a tad strange, but it helps pass the time and humanize the throngs of people in the same dreadfully slow line as yourself.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 8,099 times
I agree. I love airports. Just the big openness of the buildings, the adventure and excitement of seeing all the different places to fly to, and the possiblity meeting someone new out of all the people.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM

836 posts, read 858,210 times
Flying makes me nervous, but I do love airports. They are relaxing to me for some reason. Since I am always paranoid I am going to miss my flight, I always show up at least 2 hours before flight take off. This gives me time to go online, grab something to eat.

I remember LGA has a station full of iPads you can use which comes in handy when I don't want to use my teeny smartphone screen. It's also fun to "people watch" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel