U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 AM

2,788 posts, read 2,587,186 times

Advertisements

This is probably weird to some people, but I love the airport. Sure there are some things that we all hate like long waits in security lines, security in general(although it keeps us safe), waiting for baggage, the large crowds, and the occasional rude airport employee. But there's something about it that I really like- I love to travel and I think the excitement of going somewhere else sets in. I also love that in a sense its a "gateway to the world." There are many different destinations, and even if I'm not going to an exotic place, its still cool to know that you are just a flight away and that there are people there who are going to that particular place. I love seeing different people from around the world in one place. I also love watching the planes take off and land outside of the big window while waiting for my own flight.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else love the airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 AM

18,188 posts, read 22,075,849 times
I did, until they started those continual, every 10-15 minute, Homeland Security messages which can drive you to utter madness!

"Keep your bags with you at all times, and if you see an unattended bag, use the white telephone to alert security.............................."

33 decibel earplugs, it helps!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,067,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
This is probably weird to some people, but I love the airport. Sure there are some things that we all hate like long waits in security lines, security in general(although it keeps us safe), waiting for baggage, the large crowds, and the occasional rude airport employee. But there's something about it that I really like- I love to travel and I think the excitement of going somewhere else sets in. I also love that in a sense its a "gateway to the world." There are many different destinations, and even if I'm not going to an exotic place, its still cool to know that you are just a flight away and that there are people there who are going to that particular place. I love seeing different people from around the world in one place. I also love watching the planes take off and land outside of the big window while waiting for my own flight.

What are your thoughts? Anybody else love the airport?
I love airports too. I loved Changi at Singapore and Dublin International. I like to travel too

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 AM

40,428 posts, read 58,558,101 times
Yes, I love airports too. They associate with travel, adventure and excitement.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:32 AM

35,245 posts, read 42,970,382 times
I used to like em as you could sit and watch all the airport activities inside and out.Now airports have changed,you cant sit and watch the planes anymore as airside views seem to have been walled over, also once the people you are seeing off go through security its the last you see of them, and parking costs have become way too expensive.
These days my experiences with airports are relegated to just a drive by to pick some one up or to drop some one off.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:05 AM

6,327 posts, read 6,482,234 times
I have always liked being at airports. I do miss the days when there were observation decks where you could watch the planes come and go.

During the mid 70's I flew in and out of Bozeman, MT several times. Back then they still had the old terminal which did not adapt well to passenger screening. After you screened you went into a small holding area. It was only designed to hold a few passengers. Around Christmas time there might be 30 or 40 college students flying home. Northwest Airlines was flying 727's at the time. Since they had several stops along the way they did not assign seats. In order to get something besides a center seat you had to be one of the first passengers to board in Bozeman. So, you would have 40 passengers crammed into a room designed for half as many. The airport authorities would keep making announcements saying it was ok to wait outside the screening area until the flight was ready to board. However no one wanted to give up their chance for a good seat on the flight. So, everyone stayed crammed inside the small room. When it was time to board an airline employee would open the door to the ramp and everyone would spill out onto the ramp. Then everyone would run across the ramp to the plane pushing each other out of the way in order to board first.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 AM

33,130 posts, read 34,086,911 times
What I love about airports is the sense of people coming and going and knowing that one has access to flying to various locations around the world. Airports are very lively places to be.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 AM

6,491 posts, read 6,354,342 times
I love flying; I hate airports.

Too many poor experiences have ruined it for me.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,003,950 times
I love airports. I especially love when I have some time to grab cup of coffee and a rocking chair in the sunny atrium of the Charlotte Airport and people-watch. I enjoy the mental exercise of making up stories for the different people I see. Where they're going, who and what they're going to see. It's a great way to pass the time during a layover.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,246,613 times
It depends on the particular airport in question. For example Copenhagen's and Munich's are pretty nice (the former has a lot of Scandinavian design influence including hardwood floors and the later even has a beer garden/Christmas market right in the center complete with an ice rink). At the same time I have heard good things about the airports in Amsterdam, Seoul, Singapore, and Hong Kong which feature things such as movie theaters, spas, hotels, and even museums.

However most airports around the world are nothing more than glorified bus stations really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel