U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 PM

19,835 posts, read 18,839,234 times

Advertisements

A very long time ago I was in Luxemburg on afternoon with my husband. We stopped to look in a store window. Pretty soon another couple came along and they started looking in the store window too.

We started making small talk and they didn't have any unusual (to me) regional US accent so I asked them where they were from. They said Massachusetts. I said that I was from there too. What a small world!

Then I asked them what town? SAME TOWN! Where do you live in town? Well, it came out that they were good friends of my parents! I hadn't seen them in years but as soon as they said their names I knew. That was weird.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:00 AM

8,581 posts, read 11,067,923 times
I just ran into Macklemore and Ryan Lewis on an abra in Dubai last weekend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
I'll add another

Flying from Barcelona to Toronto, I sat beside a mother and her child who spoke in Catalan or Spanish the whole flight. Just as we were getting ready to land, the flight attendants handed out these forms you have to fill out for Canadian immigration. You have to write your address, and I guess the woman saw me write 'Sudbury'. Turns out she was born there.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:49 AM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
I have a friend who is Shanghai-born and absolutely fearless about speaking to strangers. He was using the restroom at SFO when her realized General Norman Schwartzkopf was in the next stall. He couldn't resist starting a conversation and the General was very gracious. Afterward, my friend said, "Perhaps that was not appropriate?"

Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM

4,760 posts, read 3,189,988 times
This isn't my story but it is worth repeating.

My father was in England with his significant other at the time. They decided to take a trip to Paris to see some exhibit (I don't recall what it was). It was super crowded-everyone and his brother were there-LITERALLY. He bumped into a woman and turned around to say "Excuse me" and was looking into the face of his sister! Neither knew the other was there. So the four of them (my uncle was also there) went out to dinner that night in Paris.

Cat

Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,385,558 times
I spent a 24-hour delay in London once, waiting for a flight back to a city (in a neighboring state) 200 miles from my home town. After reaching home, the next weekend we went to the state fair ... and standing in behind us were two ladies we'd met in the London airport.

Also, once while in a Paris hotel bar, we ran into the man who'd guided a tour we'd taken about five years before. More surprisingly, he remembered us ... knew who'd we'd been traveling with.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM

3,741 posts, read 7,036,005 times
Back when I was in high school (Nashville) I was catching a connecting flight in the Atlanta airport. Someone tapped me on the shoulder and said my name. Turned around and it was my best friend's mother. I am pretty sure I did a cartoonish double-take...I couldn't compute the reality of her being there.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,888 times
I've had a few crazy ones! It's a small world!

I lived in Sydney, Australia as a kid for a few years in the early-80s. We moved "home" to North Carolina in 1983.

In the late-80s we were at Epcot Center in Orlando walking down some stairs when we passed a family we knew from NC (who also lived in Sydney at the same time we did). With that family was another family that still lived in Sydney that we had been friends with when we lived there.

In the late-90s, I was visiting a friend in Breckenridge, Colorado. We were having dinner at a restaurant in town and our server had an Aussie accent. We started talking and I found out he was from Sydney...the same general area we had lived...and it turns out we had even been on the same soccer team for a season in Sydney as young boys.

Flying from LAX to Fiji the plane we were on was pretty empty. I asked the guy at one end of "my" row of 5 middle seats if he'd mind moving to an empty 3-seat side row so we could all spread out. He obliged and I ended up with the entire row all to myself while my wife also had a 5-seat row to herself. A week later, we boarded a plane headed back to LA. My wife had a window bulkhead seat and I had the middle seat. We looked around to see a nearly full flight, so we knew there would be no stretching out this time. Who should come and take the aisle seat beside me but the guy I'd "kicked out" of "my row" a week earlier.

I reconnected with my best mate from Sydney via Facebook in 2003. As we chatted, I found out that he worked for a company that was the Australian distrubutor for a manufacturer located less than an hour from my house in NC. He has been over twice for business trips and was able to spend a couple of days with my family both times.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM

39 posts, read 48,945 times
I was climbing the steps up to the Parthenon in Athens on a trip my family and I were taking around Greece. I stopped to rest along with many, many other people there and when I heard a lady near me speaking English, I said hello. We chatted and I found out she lived less than 10 miles from me in Virginia.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:21 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
When I was a little girl my father took me up in a helicopter once while on vacation. My siblings weren't happy that they didn't get to go, so the next time we went away he arranged for them to take a plane ride. I had to stay back at the airport, as I had already had my treat. That's why I was around to meet Spiro Agnew (then Gov. of Maryland), when he walked across the tarmac to board a waiting plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or