U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM

969 posts, read 1,527,998 times

Advertisements

I always use a backpack. The backpack I carry on the plane has a handle and wheels, so it can roll it like a suitcase if I want. I have a traditional large hiking/camping backpack too, but I don't think it would pass the carry-on size limit.

I also take my smaller backpack to work as opposed to my briefcase, mainly because it's more comfortable if I need to walk a long distance, which I have done in the event of snowstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 AM

304 posts, read 859,194 times
I travel for work with a 17" laptop, multiple hard drives, pen tablet, hard copy presentations, etc...all that won't fit easily into anything other than a sturdy backpack.

Though not as formal looking, it's much more comfortable than a shoulder bag/briefcase.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 2,651,078 times
I prefer to use a backpack as my carryon when I'm traveling. A bag slung over one shoulder causes me pain; a backpack divides the weight between my two shoulders and is much more comfortable. In addition I like the hands-free aspect.

When I'm in a crowded situation, however, like on a subway, I take off the backpack and carry it in hand, for two reasons: one, I don't want to be one of those oblivious back-pack wearers who swing around and slug people with their packs; and two, the possibility of theft from a zipper pocket.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

2,586 posts, read 3,736,621 times
Backpacks are for people with backs, not just college students. They are infinitely more practical than briefcases in my situation. About the only situation where I'd prefer a briefcase or messenger bag is when I'm wearing a suit, which isn't all that often. I travel to interesting places for work so its nice to use one piece of luggage for carrying work related stuff and as a day pack for running around doing touristy stuff.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 AM

29,567 posts, read 15,506,507 times
Backpacks = Easy

Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,544,187 times
Surprising what people find to complain about.

I use a backpack and can cram all my clothes plus a laptop for a 3-day business trip in there (casual workplace) and then stow it under the seat in front of me. So shouldn't the fact that you don't have to compete with me for overhead space compensate for the possibility that my backpack may touch you? I hold in front of me in an elevator or subway, for the same reasons wellshone said, other than that, you stand 3 inches away from me at your own risk.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:49 AM

14,276 posts, read 24,033,616 times
The ONLY thing that I carry-on is a back pack. I do not generally wear it as it is easier for me to carry it on my side.

I check all other luggage ... although that may change as I have a few non-Southwest flights coming up.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM

1,327 posts, read 784,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Flying yesterday, I couldn't help but notice how many adult men carrying backpacks.
I think this is pretty common just about everywhere. I can't believe how much stuff some of you guys carry around in your bags! Way more stuff in your purse than I carry in mine!

Oh yeah, hit me with your back pack and I will hit you back with my purse!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 PM

15,038 posts, read 21,785,319 times
So much easier to carry than the 'messenger bag'.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 PM

6,553 posts, read 7,831,033 times
I now use a convertible backpack as my carry-on. It can be used as a backpack, bag with shoulder strap, or a traditional handle type bag. I prefer it over my small roll-on because it's squishy, and is easier to cram into the frequently crowded overhead space. It's also lighter and easier to handle than a roll-on bag. I pull my laptop out as I'm waiting in line to board.

BTW--long past college age and female
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel