U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM

17,093 posts, read 17,432,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Backpacks are for people with backs, not just college students. They are infinitely more practical than briefcases in my situation. About the only situation where I'd prefer a briefcase or messenger bag is when I'm wearing a suit, which isn't all that often. I travel to interesting places for work so its nice to use one piece of luggage for carrying work related stuff and as a day pack for running around doing touristy stuff.
That is an excellent point.

I have arthritis. Although I currently use a regular carry on suitcase for traveling it can be hard to carry, as well as carrying a purse, coat/sweater and possibly a small tote bag (containing newspapers, magazines, or books & snacks). And, carrying a suitcase doesn't leave a hand free to carry anything like my boarding pass and a coffee or soda like a back pack would do.

I'm also a substitute teacher so I need to carry everything that I will need each day with me in the morning. By the time that I pack a few children's books or emergency lessons, my lunch, a large thermos filled with coffee (plus a travel mug), a soda, juice or water bottle, a snack, some reading material for lunch time my large school bag is stuffed. And since I never know if I will have recess duty so I always have to carry boots and extra warm mittens, hat and scarf in the winter (even if I don't need to wear them to school for my brief walk from the car to the door). Add my purse and occasionally my laptop computer and sometimes I feel like a pack burro. The straps of the heavy bags cut into my fingers or forearms and are difficult and painful due to my arthritis.

I haven't used s backpack in over 40 years but I'm seriously considering starting to use one again. As DTL stated, "Backpacks are for people with backs, not just college students".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM

15,606 posts, read 13,589,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Flying yesterday, I couldn't help but notice how many adult men carrying backpacks. I always thought they were more for college students or HS students. What happened to the luggage briefcases matching that "piggyback" on the rollerboard 22"? I can understand the convenience of carrying on the back but I also don't like getting knocked over by some guy (or gal) when standing next to them in line or on the tram. Am I missing something or just old fashioned by carrying a briefcase? Thanks to those that "backpack". :-)
The only thing I ever carried with me has been a backpack, and I have traveled extensively.

A backpack is a lot more practical, especially when going to places with less than adequate infrastructure that would make those cases with rollers impossible to roll around or a PITA to do so. Plus a backpack carries more and is not rigid, plus allows hands free as others have mentioned.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,008,113 times
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I use a backpack in addition to the carry-on that goes into the bin. It's a smaller backpack and it fits fine under the seat. In it I keep my actual purse and a few other items that I want immediate access to ~ small blanket, a back ball, camera, reading material, etc.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:33 AM

12,320 posts, read 15,235,133 times
Backpacks are great for flying. In many cases they qualify as a personal item, meaning you don't have to store it overhead. If you ride your bike to the airport, as I have several times, easy to carry. Even if you like to flaunt your wealth with expensive luggage, no problem. Louis Vuitton has a $3600 backpack for you.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:53 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,088,333 times
Rick Steves has contributed to their popularity for overseas travel.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:02 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,498,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I use a backpack in addition to the carry-on that goes into the bin. It's a smaller backpack and it fits fine under the seat. In it I keep my actual purse and a few other items that I want immediate access to ~ small blanket, a back ball, camera, reading material, etc.
Same here.. I absolutely love my backpack. I take it on every trip with me. I store some stuff for the plane ride in it, then, when I get to where I am going, I use it as a daypack. I carried it up to the top and back of Pulpit Rock in Norway, all over Amsterdam, and many other places!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:28 PM

7,766 posts, read 9,068,918 times
I use a backpack for carry on luggage. I like the hands free option. That being said I don't wear it onto the plane or in line at security.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:01 AM

182 posts, read 375,888 times
I'm an adult male and I love my backpack. Here's why:

- Hands free - It's a lot easier to carry, especially for extended periods of time. You don't have to actively hold anything, it just sits on your body and personally I like that feeling a lot more than constantly holding a briefcase in my hand or on my shoulder.

- It's convenient - The backpack, at least the one I have, can carry a much wider assortment of stuff than a briefcase does. When I fly, my backpack generally carries, my camera, my tablet, snacks, travel paperwork, phone charger, laptop, a change of clothes, etc.

- Shape - I've found that a backpack is generally easier to fit in the overhead bins, because it's soft and can generally squeeze in to most spaces.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,903,563 times
We use them too. I used one for college. Now, I could buy a new bag, I considered it. But why spend money I don't need to spend when I have a perfectly good bag sitting in the closet? Same for my husband. Doesn't make sense to go out and buy new bags when we are on a budget and have bags right there that will work. Also like the hands free option. I hate lugging a bag in my hand. It is much easier for me, to have a backpack. A shoulder bag hurts my shoulders. It's much more convenient and comfortable.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:02 AM

15,568 posts, read 17,794,946 times
I am an adult male and I use a backpack whether traveling or not. Why? Because it is the most sensible, ergonomic, and comfortable way to transport a load of any kind.

Of course, I suppose if I were a business man I might carry a briefcase or valise to avoid the scornful glances of my peers whose insistence on conformity would shame me mercilessly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel