U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times

Advertisements

My husband uses a messenger style to get to and from the office when he isn't working from home, but uses a backpack when flying. It's smaller and more convenient. He "commutes" between our homes in NJ and FL a few times a month, and has clothes and neccessities in both, so he travels very light.

His backpack is small, all he typically carries is his laptop, power cord, datebook, and note pad, plus a few pens, earbuds, and a toothbrush. It's no more than four inches thick at the fullest point.

The people with those overstuffed backpacks that turn around constantly to talk to the people behind them are the ones that are the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,548,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The people with those overstuffed backpacks that turn around constantly to talk to the people behind them are the ones that are the problem.
Oh good we have someone to blame now… the full-backpack-turnarond-talker people from Fullpackturnistan!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,429,424 times
I always hated briefcases. My parents gave me one when I got my first job and used it for about 1.5 years, but then converted to a shoulder bag. Then I started biking to work, so i converted to a backpack. Now my backpack is my work bag with my laptop, pens, and papers that go back and forth between home and work (along with my change of clothes after my bike ride). My backpack then became my personal item on plane trips, it goes at my feet under the seat on planes. For work it is easy, i don't change bags traveling or going into the office.

I think that laptops were a driver of more backpack usage.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,666,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Flying yesterday, I couldn't help but notice how many adult men carrying backpacks. I always thought they were more for college students or HS students. What happened to the luggage briefcases matching that "piggyback" on the rollerboard 22"? I can understand the convenience of carrying on the back but I also don't like getting knocked over by some guy (or gal) when standing next to them in line or on the tram. Am I missing something or just old fashioned by carrying a briefcase? Thanks to those that "backpack". :-)
I travel frequently and my carryon is a backpack. I can use it as my daypack when I get to my destination. Carries everything I need for the entire day: iPad, poncho, water, etc. Also, if I am just going some where for an over night and returning back to a main city, I can leave my large luggage with the motel/hotel and take my daypack as my overnight bag. Just makes things easier and simple.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:31 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,962,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I use them exclusively. Way easier to handle and can fit just as much stuff as an overhead-stowable luggage.
Exactly. I have not checked any luggage in years. And hands-free is nice when you have a bit of a hike through the airport.

I've been carrying on the same convertible backpack for over 20 years, whether for a long weekend or 3 weeks abroad. If necessary, it can fit under the seat in front of me on the plane, but usually it goes in the overhead bin.

No rolling suitcase thingy for me.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:06 PM

218 posts, read 276,848 times
Backpacks are great. You can carry more stuff than you would in a briefcase. Your hands are free.

People are using backpacks more because it helps them to avoid needing luggage and paying check-in fees that are becoming more common and expensive with airlines.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 PM

783 posts, read 539,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Oh good we have someone to blame now… the full-backpack-turnarond-talker people from Fullpackturnistan!
OMG these folk from fullpackturnistan have been my making my travel life a NIGHTMARE. of course they all have sharp edged laptops in these bags which makes getting hit by them that much worse. i literally have an arm bruise from a recent flight.

dying laughing as i had recently classified this new species of traveler myself - without the clever name of course. they must be stopped!

Old 05-25-2014, 06:51 PM

12,321 posts, read 15,244,934 times
The other day I saw a small woman wearing one. She was leaning forward. If standing up straight she might fall over backward. So I guess they are not for everyone.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 8,109 times
I'm a duffel bag fan though a backpack does sound easier. Guess it just reminds me of going to school. I am surprised those suitcases with wheels are still allowed. They can't be scrunched like a backpack or a duffel bag and they take up some space.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:28 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,691,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotravelforfun View Post
I'm a duffel bag fan though a backpack does sound easier. Guess it just reminds me of going to school. I am surprised those suitcases with wheels are still allowed. They can't be scrunched like a backpack or a duffel bag and they take up some space.
A smaller wheeled suitcase takes up no more space than a stuffed duffel or backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel