U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,944,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A smaller wheeled suitcase takes up no more space than a stuffed duffel or backpack.
Emphasis on 'smaller.'
Protruding wheels (especially spinners, with 4 wheels instead of 2) can be a real problem, both in overhead bins or by being damaged as checked luggage (not to mention cobblestone streets).

Having said that, there is no one perfect piece of luggage for every situation.
I simply prefer to carry on, and use my convertible backpack. It has served me very well for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 02:54 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,651,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Emphasis on 'smaller.'
Protruding wheels (especially spinners, with 4 wheels instead of 2) can be a real problem, both in overhead bins or by being damaged as checked luggage (not to mention cobblestone streets).

Having said that, there is no one perfect piece of luggage for every situation.
I simply prefer to carry on, and use my convertible backpack. It has served me very well for many years.
My bag is 20" including roller blade type wheels--which are set into the bag so only about 3/4" protrudes from the bottom. The bag is 20" from the floor to the handle. I can pack for a month in that plus a "small personal item."

It has rolled over many a cobblestone street, been bumped up and down stairs, you name it. buy a quality bag and you won't have to worry. I do'nt want to carry 28 pounds on my back--that's almost 25% of my body weight. I have no problem lifting my luggage into the bin--without help asked for or needed--and can do it quickly and without hesitation. My rule is that if you can't lift it, check it. If you can't safely manage it 100% on your own, leave it home.

My bag is going on 10 years old and other than a few scuff marks and a wine stain of my own careless fault is like new. It has logged over 250K miles since I got it.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,296 times
rollerbags are typically overhead hogs, thats one of the reasons I dislike them. The other is clueless people pulling them around. All travel bags are annoying if the people using them don't pay attention.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I do'nt want to carry 28 pounds on my back--that's almost 25% of my body weight. I have no problem lifting my luggage into the bin--without help asked for or needed--and can do it quickly and without hesitation. My rule is that if you can't lift it, check it. If you can't safely manage it 100% on your own, leave it home..
My filled-to-the-brim backpack (and its percentage of my bodyweight) is about the same, maybe a bit less.

As I said before, everybody has a different idea of what works for them.
The idea of clattering a wheelie case down cobblestones or stairs has about as much appeal to me as wearing a backpack does to you.

I agree with almost3am that it's important to be considerate with one's luggage, no matter what it is.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
My filled-to-the-brim backpack (and its percentage of my bodyweight) is about the same, maybe a bit less.

As I said before, everybody has a different idea of what works for them.
The idea of clattering a wheelie case down cobblestones or stairs has about as much appeal to me as wearing a backpack does to you.

I agree with almost3am that it's important to be considerate with one's luggage, no matter what it is.

That's what handles are for. Mine has one on top and on the side. To be honest there's no real clatter o cobblestones, as they are rollerblade style wheels, not spinners.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
That's what handles are for. Mine has one on top and on the side.
To be honest there's no real clatter o cobblestones, as they are rollerblade style wheels, not spinners.
I've seen the rollerblade style on cobblestones, it's not so fun when they get caught, especially in a crowd--but maybe that was just a fluke. I understand they must be better than spinners.

Whatever floats your luggage boat, we all are going to pick what is most convenient for ourselves.

My backpack also has side and top handles, and they do come in handy.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I've seen the rollerblade style on cobblestones, it's not so fun when they get caught, especially in a crowd--but maybe that was just a fluke. I understand they must be better than spinners.

Whatever floats your luggage boat, we all are going to pick what is most convenient for ourselves.

My backpack also has side and top handles, and they do come in handy.
I've taken mine over many, many cobblestoned streets and sidwalks, and have never had a wheel get caught. I imagine that would be a more likely scenario on a large, overweight bag.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:52 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,842,709 times
I have a ski boot bag that is backpack style, although I don't fly with it very often. Mostly I use a Louis Vuitton duffel. It fits nicely under the seat.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM

4,572 posts, read 2,980,702 times
I like the convertible travel backpacks with the straps that can be zippered inside a panel and carried with a shoulder strap or handle. But then, I fly so rarely, I don't have much of a dog in this hunt. However, to me, rollers are for airports and taxis. I'm a guy in my early 60's FWIW and don't travel for business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel