U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:14 PM

4,647 posts, read 5,387,363 times

Advertisements

Have any of you lost luggage at airports? How did it end?
I fortunately never have, but once I didn't get my checked luggage at the luggage claim, and it turned out they put it on another, later flight. It's a lot of hassles. The next day they delivered it to my home, but I found the locks had been cut by the custom security check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,797,180 times
If you include times when the airlines have misplaced my luggage, then that's happened to me more than a few times. Actually, there's one airline that has misplaced my luggage every time I've flown with them. It can be annoying.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 AM

6,164 posts, read 6,332,552 times
Of all the flying I have done only twice did my checked baggage fail to arrive at my destination on the same flight as me. Both times the airline said it was due to the first leg of a multi leg flight arriving too late for the baggage to make the connecting flight. The first time it happened I knew it was going to happen as we were real late getting into MSP. They actually had to hold the second flight so that all of the passengers connecting could make it. What ticked me off was the baggage office at BWI refused to process our claims until all of the luggage from the flight had been claimed. The baggage office knew in advance that our luggage had not made the flight yet they made us wait over an hour before doing the claim.

Once when flying from King Salmon, Alaska to Anchorage Alaska on a non-stop flight the airline lost my dad's luggage. They found it two days later in Los Angeles, CA

Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 AM

32,127 posts, read 33,037,268 times
Luckily I haven't lost luggage on a flight. But years ago my father and I (when I was child) lost checked-in luggage on a train trip in Europe. We only got it back on after 2 weeks on our back home when my father had to run out a particular station to find the lost & found office to retrieve it while the train was in that station for about 40 minutes.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:19 AM

19,845 posts, read 19,943,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Have any of you lost luggage at airports? How did it end?
I fortunately never have, but once I didn't get my checked luggage at the luggage claim, and it turned out they put it on another, later flight. It's a lot of hassles. The next day they delivered it to my home, but I found the locks had been cut by the custom security check.
Never actually lost but the same thing as you had happen and we lived 30 miles from the airport so I was pleased when they did deliver it to our door.
I did stop, a long time ago, locking luggage when it's going to baggage since there's such a good chance of them being cut off.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,845,077 times
Knock on wood, I've never actually lost luggage when flying. A couple of times I've had to switch flights and my bags couldn't keep up, but they eventually made it to my destination and were delivered to me.

The only time I've actually lost a bag was when I was traveling by train. I guess the bag just wasn't removed from the train at my destination. Took three days for it to magically appear, and I had to go retrieve it once it was located. Grrrrr.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:51 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,441,839 times
Never permanently lost, but temporary lost where I didn't get it for several days, quite a few times. If you fly through/transfer through CDG if they actually FIND your luggage and transfer it on properly you should be considered thankful.

Longest was lost luggage during a 10 day Greece trip. Delta reimbursed me over $500 to buy clothes, supplies, even film...my luggage was found by the airlines on the way home.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,648,712 times
I've had lost luggage several times, but the worst was when I flew from Barcelona to Madrid to Miami, and my suitcase went from Barcelona to Madrid to NEW YORK to Miami.

Fortunately I was traveling home, so it wasn't that inconvenient to have my luggage arrive a couple of days late. Unfortunately, when it finally did arrive, I found that a number of items had been stolen from the luggage. Stupid stuff: a t-shirt, a belt, a plastic mug ...

Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,545,412 times
We've had lost luggage a few times. Once it was gone overnight (turned into a couple of nights), so we got a small amount of money from the airline to buy necessities. The luggage has always eventually shown up. The airline always sends it to us at their expense - we request that, and they've always done so. Only once have we gone to pick it up, because we were conveniently close to the airport.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,447,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Of all the flying I have done only twice did my checked baggage fail to arrive at my destination on the same flight as me. Both times the airline said it was due to the first leg of a multi leg flight arriving too late for the baggage to make the connecting flight. The first time it happened I knew it was going to happen as we were real late getting into MSP. They actually had to hold the second flight so that all of the passengers connecting could make it.
This. Precisely. (Seriously--it's almost spooky how all the details match up!) Except for me MSP was the final destination rather than the layover location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel