U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,535,393 times

Advertisements

Capturing memories with your camera in my sketchbook
Meeting the local people
Getting a feel for the place ("Getting lost" is something different to me and usually not on my 'enthused' list)
Sampling the local cuisine
Doing something out of your comfort zone fun and adventurous
Seeing the sights
Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation

But #1 is usually "coming back home" by the end of it… except the sketchbook part, I could do that forever.

And I think the 'adventurous' things that people tend to do on vacation are usually not that adventurous. Out of comfort zone maybe, but not really adventurous. For example: surviving a winter on polar ice, getting chased by cannibals or spending time in a turkish prison = adventurous. Zip-lining, para-sailing, seeing ruins = tourist rides. Most people who say they love adventure usually don't at all. A good rule of thumb is: If there's not a chance it might seriously suck, it's probably an attraction, not and adventure. Getting lost (for real) usually fits into the 'adventure' category, but strolling off the main road by 100 feet and "discovering" some food cart doesn't count…. I'm talking, "Oh ----, I think we were supposed to turn off 4 hours ago and now we're out of gas…" lost = adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:54 PM

104 posts, read 137,001 times
1) Sampling the local cuisine (an extension, I will always check out all the local coffeeshops in the area)
2) Getting lost and getting a feel for the place (I like to do outdoor runs when travel as my form of daily exercise)
3) Meeting the local people (if possible, I check to see if there is a race taking place or there is a running group I can partake in)
4) Seeing the sights
5) Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation
6) Capturing memories with your camera
7) Doing something out of your comfort zone fun and adventurous

Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Basically:

1. Getting off the beaten track
2. Eating the local everyday market food, using local buses, etc.
3. Seeing what life is like away from the cities.

The rest of them I don't much care about at all. Like, I never travel with a camera, or to go and visit any tourist sites. For example, in Thailand, I only went to famous temples because there were tour busses going there, then I left the crowd and went across the road for birdwatching in the jungle. Otherwise, there would be no easy way to get to unpopulated rural places and back. Ordinary buses just go from city center to city center.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,551 times
I don't get what is so nice about seeing rivers, lakes, mountains , hills etc..

Literally bore me to tears !!

Just me i suppose

Old 05-10-2014, 06:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,898,092 times
1. Seeing the sights.
2. Capturing memories with your camera
3. Sampling the local cuisine
4. Meeting locals.
5. Adventure/Comfort Zone.
6. Getting lost, Getting a feel for a place.
7. Pampering, Relaxing.

I never relax or pamper. I think a vacation where I actually could relax and not come home feeling like I need a vacation from the vacation might be nice, but when I think about it I end up wanting to see and do as much as possible, esp when I went to Europe. I used to live over there, so we'd take smaller trips to other countries and it was such a whirlwind. I def wanted to see as much as I could, capture memories, and eat somewhere special. Locals were nice to meet, but as others said I too am more of an observer sometimes. As for adventure - yes I DO like that, but not out of my comfort zone. In Rome we did this off-the-beaten-path Gladiator school (There is one that is well-known, I found this one that even the born-and-raised locally hostel owner & taxi driver didn't know about) so that WAS fun. I do like THOSE things, but out of comfort zone stuff like bungee jumping, maybe not. I don't mind getting lost if it's somewhere I speak the language, but my travel companions hate it to the point they freak out and are impossible to deal with so I hate it too. They stress and there's no way to not have a bad fight. I had friends when I was younger, getting lost was the WHOLE POINT of the trip. It used to be fun. Hubby makes it horrible so it's a no-go now. So that is at the bottom of the list.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM

35 posts, read 75,693 times
Getting lost and getting a feel for the place
Meeting the local people
Seeing the sights
Capturing memories with your camera
Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation <--- have not done this yet and I have travelled quite a bit

Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
It really depends on where I am going and the purpose of my trip, but in general although with some qualifiers:

Seeing the sights

Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation Always luxury accomodation. I won't stay anywhere that isn't at least as nice as my home--with the exception like a Hampton Inn or Courtyard for a place to sleep and shower during a multi-day drive. If I go to someplace like Fiji or Bora Bora, chilling is important, but if I'm someplace like London or Rome, it is eclipsed by seeing the sights. If I cruise I'll spend time in the spa, but I can do spa time at home, so don't usually do it unless on a cruise or at a resort while vacationing.

Meeting the local people

Getting lost and getting a feel for the place--Yes in places like Venice, bad idea in places like Baltimore where neighborhoods can change quickly and become downrigh dangerous.

Doing something out of your comfort zone fun and adventurous Just traveling to different places--particularly those off the beaten path and in a country where you don't speak the language and might encounter few who speak your language or a mutual one is adventurous enough. I am not a "thrill seeker."

Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
1.Seeing the sights
2.Meeting the local people
3.Getting lost and getting a feel for the place

4.Sampling the local cuisine
5.Doing something out of your comfort zone fun and adventurous
6.Capturing memories with your camera
7.Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation

Old 05-15-2014, 12:01 PM

14,190 posts, read 6,426,756 times
Basically all of it ranks #1 with me. I have no interest in ever going to a spa or staying in luxury surroundings while traveling, I'd rather spend my money on much more interesting things. I also have no interest in seeing & doing typical tourist things. Get me off the beaten track where the locals are & I'll be happiest.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,646,868 times
Seeing the sights
Meeting the local people
Getting lost and getting a feel for the place
Pampering yourself/chilling out/luxury accommodation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or