U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 05:57 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,891,223 times

Advertisements

I would like to check into baggage a piece of medical equipment, not packaged...the way one would do a wheelchair.
However, this is obviously more sensitive since it has electronics.
I already do see that the airline won't 'insure' it's safety but wonder if you think baggage handlers would be inclined to handle it carefully?
It's an oxygen concentrator and comes just under size and weight guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Easy answer is No

Best Option is to arrange a rental ahead of time where you are going.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Easy answer is No

Best Option is to arrange a rental ahead of time where you are going.
Thanks for your reply on the odds.
There are reasons why this one has to get to where we're going.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Don't ever count on baggage handlers to ever be inclined to handle anything carefully. If it is not padded and packaged, I wouldn't check it. Even if it were, I would have reservations.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,184,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I would like to check into baggage a piece of medical equipment, not packaged...the way one would do a wheelchair.
I already do see that the airline won't 'insure' it's safety but wonder if you think baggage handlers would be inclined to handle it carefully?
Make sure it is up to FAA specifications first. There are strict rules applying to devices that deal with oxygen.

Anyway, sorry, but no. If you check it in, it will be treated like everything else. It will be stuffed, pushed, and twisted into place, especially on a full flight. There really is no 'careful.'

However, if you bring it with you through security and are able to gate-check it, where it is taken down to the plane in the jetway and brought back to you upon arrival, it may end up being safer. It'll be taken down the stairs and put in the door of the aircraft so it can be removed first, along with passengers' strollers, wheelchairs, etc.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,833,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
However, if you bring it with you through security and are able to gate-check it, where it is taken down to the plane in the jetway and brought back to you upon arrival, it may end up being safer. It'll be taken down the stairs and put in the door of the aircraft so it can be removed first, along with passengers' strollers, wheelchairs, etc.
I wouldn't even count on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDizh4DMno

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,288,316 times
Whenever checking ANYTHING ask yourself

- is its value higher than what the airline will pay for replacement

- can I do without it until I can get it replaced if it is permanently lost or damaged

If you can't answer yes to both you can't check it.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You are in a no win situation. If you simply pack the item the best you can but do not put on any fragile labels and it gets damaged the airline will be quick to show you a list of things they do not cover. If you put on the fragile stickers, when checking in the airline will put on a limited liability tag which releases them from covering any damages. Chances are it will arrive with no problems as most luggage does. However there is always a chance your bag will be the one the baggage handler takes out his frustrations on. I can almost guarantee if the person working the bag room has just spent the last 10 minutes getting chewed out by a supervisor and your bag is the next one to come down the belt it will get tossed into the baggage cart at warp speed. Also keep in mind that most baggage handlers make less than $10 an hour, part time, with no benefits. Many of them could care less if your bag falls out of the cart or off the belt loader.

If you do not want to take the chance of it getting damaged and not be covered you might want to consider shipping it by FedX or UPS.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,017,708 times
Can you UPS ship it to your destination ahead of time?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM

All your answers were what I suspected might be the case.
I hoped ( call me foolish) that if not packed, so it was obvious what it is, that it may be handled better.
However,Alaskan Mutt is correct that, in that case, it would get a limited liability sticker, meaning basically "Tough luck, lady".
Unfortunately, it's too unwieldy for me to bring it through the gates and to the plane.
If only it was a little bigger, I could have my husband ride on it instead of using a wheelchair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel