U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:23 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times

Advertisements

It'd be a lot more comfortable to simply leave the country. If you have to ask a question like this, it means you wouldn't survive in the wilderness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:59 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I want to disappear for a while or forever. There are many mountains around here.

Any tips?
We are presuming you want to escape society by heading off into the wilderness however there is another way to disappear and thats by taking on a new identity and just moving far away..

Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,211,814 times
I agree with burglar and jambo.

If you must go into the wilderness, have a steady source of income, even if it's small. It's strangely enough best to do it within traveling distance of a Walmart, so you can re-supply as cheaply as possible if you don't have much money.

A van is an advantage - if you build a cabin, it's likely to be found and you will be evicted if you don't own the land. Which by the way is a good idea, to buy the land you live on - but then of course you will be known through public records.

You'd better have a way to heat your van, tent, or cabin, or you will freeze in winter. The summers are easy to survive but not the winters.

You should have a long gun and plenty of ammunition.

If you stay camping in one spot, numerous biting and stinging insects will eventually be attracted to your area from the smell of cooking, urine and feces, and so will bears. The bears will claw and walk over your tent, if you live in one, bite your water jug, and tear open your canned food. Don't ask how I know that.

You're better off getting a new identity (google it) and go disappear in a large city, whether in this country or another.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:30 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,490,192 times
Move to a neighborhood deep in the Bronx or Queens and pay cash for everything. Mountains are no good because it gets so cold that you'll need to have a fire, which someone will eventually notice.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM

3,185 posts, read 7,058,256 times
As Woof and razz wrote it's easier to disappear in a city than it the mountains. People that live in the mountains are very aware of their surroundings and take note of people and things that are out of place.

If you just need to get away from it all for a while, pack up a car with a tent and supplies and go on an adventure. There are lots of isolated camping sites that you can enjoy the solitude and get perspective on your world.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:01 AM

241 posts, read 152,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe this guy will be an inspiration if you want to get away from it all..

Alone in the Wilderness - YouTube
Dick Proenneke. Now there's an example of a real man's man that is mostly absent amongst today's youth. This country would be so much better off if we had more self-reliant men like him instead of the whiny, entitled losers that we see running around today. It's no wonder that most women are repelled by these sad excuses for "men".

I'm not saying everyone should run off to the Alaskan wilderness to prove they can survive up there, but there are a lot of "men" in this country who don't even know how to fix a flat tire and have never even held a real gun in their hands. Probably never even been in a fistfight either.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Starting to look like our op has disappeared,, maybe the mountains got him//

Old 05-04-2014, 09:12 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times
Turn off your cell phone. Or better, leave it in the trash.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,901,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Dick Proenneke. Now there's an example of a real man's man that is mostly absent amongst today's youth. This country would be so much better off if we had more self-reliant men like him instead of the whiny, entitled losers that we see running around today. It's no wonder that most women are repelled by these sad excuses for "men".

I'm not saying everyone should run off to the Alaskan wilderness to prove they can survive up there, but there are a lot of "men" in this country who don't even know how to fix a flat tire and have never even held a real gun in their hands. Probably never even been in a fistfight either.
I didn't know that fixing flats, holding real guns and fistfighting were the hallmarks of a real man.

The only thing worthwhile on your list is fixing a flat. I've held and shot guns and even been in a fistfight, but I never have been in a situation I've needed a gun or the fistfight actually solved anything. If anything, if I or the person I was fighting had a gun at the time, one of us would probably be in prison for murder.

There are plenty of men out there who have done none of these things, it doesn't make them unmanly.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:52 AM

297 posts, read 668,378 times
What's the best way to disappear? Become an older woman with gray hair and glasses.

But seriously, the Bob Marshall Wilderness is beautiful. But prepare, prepare, prepare. And think of those who care about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel