U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:39 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,776,805 times

Advertisements

Alaska if able to deal with the wilderness. Far west Texas, get a disposable phone, and work oil field in Midland -Odessa, travel with the drilling rigs. Conversely, get on with a carney, get a travel trailer, again no forwarding address to the family. Get a Commercial truck driver license, and ride the roads.

Lots of ways to pretty much disappear from the casual search and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,903,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
All three are part of being a man or becoming one. Fixing a flat shows self-reliance, and the other two demonstrate the capability for self-defense.
Here is a partial list of other skills that a "man" can learn so as to be self-reliant:
-- Learning to cook
-- Learning to clean
-- Learning the value of hard work
-- Learning to delay self-gratification
-- Learning to accept responsibility and act responsibly
-- Learning to accept the consequences of one's actions

All of these are more important than learning how to fix a flat tire.

As for self-defense, that is up to the individual. I don't need to learn how to use a gun or how to fight because I am afraid that some mythical boogeyman is going to hurt me. I need to know how to stay away from situations that might be dangerous. As I have grown older, I am reminded of the man who I try to emulate. He said, "You have heard that it was said, 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."

Old 05-04-2014, 09:40 PM

861 posts, read 997,112 times
I wish I could move somewhere but I don't have the funds to do that.

So the only solution is the mountains. I don't have any survival skills whatsoever so I will just take some canned foods, plenty of water, a knife, lighter, flashlight and a emergency blanket.

I think I'll disappear for a week and see if they missed me and will leave me alone. If not, I'll leave for a month and maybe longer.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:09 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,372,537 times
Running away and living in the woods is not the answer. Your problems will still be there haunting you no matter where you go.
Instead of running, why don't you stand up for yourself? Whatever it is that they want you to do.. tell them no. Be forceful about it so they take you seriously.
If you really want to leave, save up some money and do it right. Find a job and a place to live. Don't just hide in the woods. That's no life especially for someone inexperienced.

I just read what you wrote above.
Is the sole purpose of your running away to make them suffer a little, and see if they miss you?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 PM

834 posts, read 941,872 times
The UNAbomber wasn't caught by detectives. His brother ratted him out.

That means that even he couldn't get away from family!

OP is truly in deep doodoo. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
So the only solution is the mountains. I don't have any survival skills whatsoever so I will just take some canned foods, plenty of water, a knife, lighter, flashlight and a emergency blanket.

That just proves that you don't have survival skills, which means you wouldn't survive long. As an experiment, try sleeping in your back yard for a week with nothing but an emergency blanket.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Here is a partial list of other skills that a "man" can learn so as to be self-reliant:
-- Learning to cook
-- Learning to clean
-- Learning the value of hard work
-- Learning to delay self-gratification
-- Learning to accept responsibility and act responsibly
-- Learning to accept the consequences of one's actions

All of these are more important than learning how to fix a flat tire.

As for self-defense, that is up to the individual. I don't need to learn how to use a gun or how to fight because I am afraid that some mythical boogeyman is going to hurt me. I need to know how to stay away from situations that might be dangerous. As I have grown older, I am reminded of the man who I try to emulate. He said, "You have heard that it was said, 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."
That's just grand. Tell me how you feel after someone points a gun at you or physically overwhelms you and threatens to throw you off of a bridge. I'm not turning the other cheek for that nonsense.

I know how to change a tire, but I can never get the darn lug nuts off.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The UNAbomber wasn't caught by detectives. His brother ratted him out.

That means that even he couldn't get away from family!

OP is truly in deep doodoo. Good luck.
Not quite accurate. His brother recognized the writing style of the manifesto and went to the FBI saying the Unabomber sure sounded like his brother. But he (the honest brother) did not know where the Unabomber was. It was police work which tracked him down and arrested him.

The words you chose ("ratted him out") are a poor choice in this case, as the Unabomber was a murderer of innocents. Any person with a sense of right and wrong, that is any decent human being, would have done the same thing. Sometimes even a half-way moral sense will dictate the right thing to do.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I wish I could move somewhere but I don't have the funds to do that.

I think I'll disappear for a week and see if they missed me and will leave me alone. If not, I'll leave for a month and maybe longer.
I think you should Google that before you leave.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Jump on a bus and just go far away and start anew, going off into the woods with no survival skills is a bad idea,.
Joining the military would be a better idea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel