U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,214,738 times

Advertisements

If the OP is underage and goes to an unknown city without much money, he will end up homeless. Some nice man will offer to help him, and let him stay in his apartment. He will introduce the OP to drugs, and after a while point out that the only way to get enough money for drugs is to prostitute himself in the streets, with the nice man protecting him and taking a 100% cut of the proceeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 AM

854 posts, read 945,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If the OP is underage and goes to an unknown city without much money, he will end up homeless. Some nice man will offer to help him, and let him stay in his apartment. He will introduce the OP to drugs, and after a while point out that the only way to get enough money for drugs is to prostitute himself in the streets, with the nice man protecting him and taking a 100% cut of the proceeds.
That is assuming an awful lot about the OP's character. Many people move to cities find jobs and make something of themselves.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 AM

10,177 posts, read 7,782,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Catch the next MH370.
Haha! Classic! I came here to write that and you beat me to it.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:58 AM

854 posts, read 945,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I wish I could move somewhere but I don't have the funds to do that.

So the only solution is the mountains. I don't have any survival skills whatsoever so I will just take some canned foods, plenty of water, a knife, lighter, flashlight and a emergency blanket.

I think I'll disappear for a week and see if they missed me and will leave me alone. If not, I'll leave for a month and maybe longer.
Summer is coming on and is a good time to get out and practice those survival skills. It's fun to do that even if you aren't going to leave. Just get out and try it, that's defiantly better than sitting around thinking about it all the time. Buy yourself a tent, a sleeping bag and something to cook with. Take a bunch of food and something to read, maybe even survival books. Just relax in nature, there are places you can get away from people in every state in this country. All that being said you should always tell somebody where you are going. There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn new things like survival, it will take your mind off other things. Maybe you could find a summer job working outdoors on trails or something. Take peoples advice in this thread. Don't run away, you might regret it later. I did. Maybe you will find some like minded people and end up hiking with them. I have met a lot of cool people on popular hiking trails. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:37 AM

38,133 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Quote:
No, I'm still here. And no, I am not running from the law. I am running from something much worse.... my family!

They are pressuring me to do stuff I don't want to do. Plus I don't get along with my brother's wife. I am feeling so overwhelmed that I just want to disappear forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Alaska if able to deal with the wilderness. Far west Texas, get a disposable phone, and work oil field in Midland -Odessa, travel with the drilling rigs. Conversely, get on with a carney, get a travel trailer, again no forwarding address to the family. Get a Commercial truck driver license, and ride the roads.

Lots of ways to pretty much disappear from the casual search and start over.
Quote:

So the only solution is the mountains. I don't have any survival skills whatsoever so I will just take some canned foods, plenty of water, a knife, lighter, flashlight and a emergency blanket.

I think I'll disappear for a week and see if they missed me and will leave me alone. If not, I'll leave for a month and maybe longer.
Taking off into the mountains is a poor plan. Even if you wait until the weather warms up, with no survival skills, once the canned food runs out you'll be back. Your family will think you're nuts. There may be psychiatric facilities involved.

If you are over 18, pack up your tent and head to the Dakotas. There is work aplenty. Check out the C-D threads. You will have all sorts of life experiences, figure out how to support yourself, and get a break from your family.

If you are not 18, get a job and save enough to get a car and some gas money. Picking up a few job skills beforehand such as bartending or truck driving will come in handy.

Or do what everyone else does--go to college. Borrow a ton a money and spend the rest of your life paying it back.

Good luck.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-05-2014 at 05:13 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:12 AM

3,185 posts, read 7,061,671 times
Quote:

Don't forget a can opener if you're taking canned food.

Really you're going to be a liability. I live in the mountains and we have dozens of search and rescue operations every year for people who are actually prepared to be in the wilderness. You sound fairly young, pick an area find a hostel and go stay there for a week, they're cheap and you'll have shelter. Breckenridge and Glenwood Springs, Colorado both have great ones, or try couchsurfing.com and go. The mountains are not a hospitable place we are still due to get good snow over the next month, winter is not over up here.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
The Dakotas suggestion is good from a jobs standpoint, and you're better off at one of those 'man camps' out there than in the woods. While disappearing totally from the grid is hard these days, ditching the current cell phone in favor of a prepaid 'burner' phone and staying off social media under your own name is going to make it very hard to track you down.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Why not enlist in the military? Assuming that you're of age that is. They'll take you and ship you out and take care of the expenses too.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 5,367,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Haha! Classic! I came here to write that and you beat me to it.
In fact as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I was surprised that anyone could still have raised such a question.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,638,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
That is assuming an awful lot about the OP's character. Many people move to cities find jobs and make something of themselves.
IF the op is under age, then "Woof" is CORRECT. under age kids do not make anything but nuisances of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel