U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,638,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If the OP is underage and goes to an unknown city without much money, he will end up homeless. Some nice man will offer to help him, and let him stay in his apartment. He will introduce the OP to drugs, and after a while point out that the only way to get enough money for drugs is to prostitute himself in the streets, with the nice man protecting him and taking a 100% cut of the proceeds.
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:47 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,877,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I wish I could move somewhere but I don't have the funds to do that.

So the only solution is the mountains. I don't have any survival skills whatsoever so I will just take some canned foods, plenty of water, a knife, lighter, flashlight and a emergency blanket.

I think I'll disappear for a week and see if they missed me and will leave me alone. If not, I'll leave for a month and maybe longer.
Great idea about taking plenty of water, most people bagging it out into the mountains don't think things through and when they get up there the first thing they remember is they forgot to bring plenty of water. Then, they have to walk back down and haul their water back up to their hideout. Don't forget milk too if you plan on having any cereal for breakfast and what would go better with milk for an afternoon snack but some oreo cookies?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM

12,273 posts, read 18,397,848 times
How in the world is this a travel topic with 7 pages? "Disappear" isn't a geographical location, it's a state of existence. Forget about talk of "Alaska" and "The Bob Marshall wilderness" and survival skills, that's just silly talk. You know how many people go up to Alaska with the intention to "disappear"? Ask in the Alaska state forum, they will have a good laugh and will have some funny stories about these clueless souls. You can probably better disappear in NYC, you will become just one of the homeless masses.

Move off the grid first and foremost - that means no internet, no cell phone, no job, no tax records, no open mortgages, no open car loans. One proceeds the other, because otherwise, if those things are still open when you get that microbus and park it in the wilderness like the fantasy talk here, you aren't disappearing.
I think, given the OP's short thread and the fact that his other threads deal with buying a car, he hasn't thought this through.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 AM

38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
How in the world is this a travel topic with 7 pages? "Disappear" isn't a geographical location, it's a state of existence. Forget about talk of "Alaska" and "The Bob Marshall wilderness" and survival skills, that's just silly talk. You know how many people go up to Alaska with the intention to "disappear"? Ask in the Alaska state forum, they will have a good laugh and will have some funny stories about these clueless souls. You can probably better disappear in NYC, you will become just one of the homeless masses.

Move off the grid first and foremost - that means no internet, no cell phone, no job, no tax records, no open mortgages, no open car loans. One proceeds the other, because otherwise, if those things are still open when you get that microbus and park it in the wilderness like the fantasy talk here, you aren't disappearing.
I think, given the OP's short thread and the fact that his other threads deal with buying a car, he hasn't thought this through.
The Brother Francis shelter in Anchorage is filled with those who want to live off the land and find that snow isn't all that nourishing and it's a heck of a lot of work to eat a moose.

Since he's still trying to figure out how to buy a car, perhaps that should be the first goal.

Finding a way to support himself would be useful as well.

If he wants to disappear for a week to see if anyone misses him, head to the local homeless shelter. Nobody comes looking for those folks, I'll tell you.

Many young people get disgusted with the way they are treated at home and head off into the world. It's the circle of life.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-05-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,587,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You're better off getting a new identity (google it) and go disappear in a large city, whether in this country or another.
Best idea. Go on deep/dark net market like Pandora and buy a new set of documents. then head for NYC or London and simply blend in, pay cash, keep a low profile and avoid problems and potential engagements with law enforcement.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Best idea. Go on deep/dark net market like Pandora and buy a new set of documents. then head for NYC or London and simply blend in, pay cash, keep a low profile and avoid problems and potential engagements with law enforcement.
Not sure OP wants to go quite that deep.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
No, I'm still here. And no, I am not running from the law. I am running from something much worse.... my family!

They are pressuring me to do stuff I don't want to do. Plus I don't get along with my brother's wife. I am feeling so overwhelmed that I just want to disappear forever.
Know the feeling. What stuff are they pressuring you to do?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-05-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,432,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Since he's still trying to figure out how to buy a car, perhaps that should be the first goal.
Check out his other posts, he has a car (supposedly) a Honda Civic that gets 50MPG. He supposedly also lives in it, in the desert near LV. He also wants to trade it in/up.

Methinks we have an honestly issue here.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Check out his other posts, he has a car (supposedly) a Honda Civic that gets 50MPG. He supposedly also lives in it, in the desert near LV. He also wants to trade it in/up.
He lives in a Honda Civic that gets 50 mpg? I'd say hang on to that one.

He lives in the desert? I thought he lived near the mountains.

By any chance, are the folks pressuring him to get off that darn computer and get a job?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-05-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,371,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
He lives in a Honda Civic that gets 50 mpg? I'd say hang on to that one.

He lives in the desert? I thought he lived near the mountains?

By any chance, are the folks on his case about getting off that darn computer and getting a job?
That's what I was thinking too. I think OP is just having a good old fashioned temper tantrum and
want's to run away hoping 'they'll' miss him, greet him with tears and open arms, and stop asking him to do whatever it is that he's trying to run from which I suspect might be something along the lines of 'grow up'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel