U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times

Advertisements

Join the French Foreign Legion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Check out his other posts, he has a car (supposedly) a Honda Civic that gets 50MPG. He supposedly also lives in it, in the desert near LV. He also wants to trade it in/up.

Methinks we have an honestly issue here.
His other posts are about the desirable qualities of fast food, and thought provoking question on the new Adam Sandler movie. So no...I think we can all conclude that the sacrificies and dedication needed to "disappear" are not exactly with this poster.

Maybe the OP should do some soul searching and ask himself this philosophical and introspective question:
"What would Adam Sandler do?"

Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Join the French Foreign Legion
Now there's a plan.

French Foreign Legion - Recruiting

Bet none of these guys put up with any guff from their mom and dad.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:32 AM

241 posts, read 152,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Now there's a plan.

French Foreign Legion - Recruiting

Bet none of these guys put up with any guff from their mom and dad.

Any branch of the U.S. armed forces would also instill some much-needed discipline. Not to mention provide some valuable life skills.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,213,327 times
If he joins the military, he might have a chance to kill people - legally!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Alas, it is not that easy to get into the military these days. Or so I've heard. But doesn't hurt to try.

AmeriCorps and the Conservation Corps are other options. Many young people have had great experiences spending a year or two with them.

AmeriCorps | Corporation for National and Community Service

Conservation Corps

You serve the nation, learn a lot about teamwork, and get some breathing room to decide what you want to do with your life.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,967,801 times
Why disappear? Depending on who/what you are running from can help chart a course for you... ...

Old 05-05-2014, 04:23 PM

854 posts, read 945,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
IF the op is under age, then "Woof" is CORRECT. under age kids do not make anything but nuisances of themselves.
So underage prostitutes are nuisances? Maybe the old perverts who make them turn tricks are the nuisance. It seems pretty morbid to assume that just because someone moves to a different city they are immediately going to be processed into the sex trade. Seriously there is way to much hysterical reporting in media these days. I think you guys have watched one to many episodes of Without a Trace. One event occurs and is nationally televised, now the entire country thinks we have a problem as a nation. I think the likelihood of this person being put on the streets is pretty minimal. Just don't get hooked on drugs and you will be fine.

I agree that if the OP is underage they shouldn't by any means runaway. However I don't think using scare tactics like that really work.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-05-2014 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,301 posts, read 12,213,327 times
I've lived in places where there were teenage prostitutes, and usually they had pimps - otherwise they could get raped, beaten, or robbed. Look around you in any major city.

Of course it doesn't happen all the time. But who is going to employ a homeless teenager?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
No, I'm still here. And no, I am not running from the law. I am running from something much worse.... my family!

They are pressuring me to do stuff I don't want to do. Plus I don't get along with my brother's wife. I am feeling so overwhelmed that I just want to disappear forever.
To the OP, you're being given a lot of advice based on speculation about you. If you don't have wilderness skills, do not disappear into the mountains, period.

If you just want a holiday to get away from the family, then borrow a tent and stuff, and go somewhere safe, like a state park and camp.

If you're young and living at home, then you have to get yourself into a situation where you can afford to move out and make your decisions. But what you're describing sounds like a child "running away from home", which is most often something done to punish your parents. So maybe you need to just grow up a bit. Or if you're in serious distress, find someone to talk to.

Last edited by Wwanderer; 05-05-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel