U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,641,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
So underage prostitutes are nuisances? Maybe the old perverts who make them turn tricks are the nuisance. It seems pretty morbid to assume that just because someone moves to a different city they are immediately going to be processed into the sex trade. Seriously there is way to much hysterical reporting in media these days. I think you guys have watched one to many episodes of Without a Trace. One event occurs and is nationally televised, now the entire country thinks we have a problem as a nation. I think the likelihood of this person being put on the streets is pretty minimal. Just don't get hooked on drugs and you will be fine.

I agree that if the OP is underage they shouldn't by any means runaway. However I don't think using scare tactics like that really work.
Prostitutes??? WHERE did that come from? What do they have to do with anything in this thread? Since you brought it up, yeah they're nuisances too, now back on topic. The op is WAY too inexperienced to be doing anything in the wilderness, unless it's taking a leak. Just my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 AM

854 posts, read 946,365 times
This is where it came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If the OP is underage and goes to an unknown city without much money, he will end up homeless. Some nice man will offer to help him, and let him stay in his apartment. He will introduce the OP to drugs, and after a while point out that the only way to get enough money for drugs is to prostitute himself in the streets, with the nice man protecting him and taking a 100% cut of the proceeds.
and this...

IF the op is under age, then "Woof" is CORRECT. under age kids do not make anything but nuisances of themselves.

I think I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. I think you mean that without much money, it could be dangerous. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:41 AM

756 posts, read 884,718 times
If you want to get away from something, walk away from it.

If you don't like how your life is, change it.

If you don't have the wherewithal to do it right now, make a plan to find the means to do so. Move away, make your own life (no money? get to work and make enough for a bus ticket to ND, as suggested.), and call once a week or less. No one will follow you, and you'll be away from what you say you want to get away from.

Another option would be to just change yourself (rather than your location) and how you interact with your family. Find a book about setting boundaries, and walk away from their behavior in another sense. Build your life and "disappear" from the drama your family creates by being a different person.

Want to create drama, call attention to yourself, have everyone looking for you, and make a passive-aggressive statement about what A-holes you think they are and how they should appreciate you more? Run away, "disappear". In other words, act like a child.

To actually disappear into the mountains is work. Hard work, every day, just to have a chance to survive. To be comfortable would require both work and some very specific skills. And probably a good chunk of change for the supplies you'd need. If you can't afford a bus ticket to North Dakota, you can't afford the gear required to survive in the mountains.

Walk away and start your own life. No one is going to follow you. Seems like maybe you want them to?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Read the story of Chris McCandles. The results of poor preparation are deadly.

20yrsinBranson
I went to school with Chris and was friends with him. His story is TRAGIC and not one to be emulated.

Disappearing for a while is fine, but do the due diligence first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel