Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

Serious question lol obviously this does not include any large furniture. I'm thinking of putting all my essentials and everything into big boxes and shipping it out in one of the carriers. I'm not sure what the price difference would be btw doing it like this or through a moving company. I live in a relatively small mobile life (studio apartment). Obviously boxes will be padded and such. Anyone have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Serious question lol obviously this does not include any large furniture. I'm thinking of putting all my essentials and everything into big boxes and shipping it out in one of the carriers. I'm not sure what the price difference would be btw doing it like this or through a moving company. I live in a relatively small mobile life (studio apartment). Obviously boxes will be padded and such. Anyone have any experience with this?
Sounds expensive. I once sent a blow up mattress from Michigan to Florida and it cost 40 dollars.

Uhaul would be cheaper.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm going to move about 1000 miles. I'm not going to drive. It's either deliver it myself through a shipping company or hire moving company to do whole load

Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
I'd get a quote from a moving company before even considering FedEx/UPS etc.

Though if you do go through FedEx/UPS, be sure to look into their freight services. It will likely be cheaper to do a pallet of boxes rather than shipping them individually.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
My parents did International with DHL.

Seemed ok.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
I'm going to move about 1000 miles. I'm not going to drive. It's either deliver it myself through a shipping company or hire moving company to do whole load
Ah, whenever I have moved across the country I drove.

I don't know anything about shipping companies. If I had to absolutely guess, I'd say a shipping company would be cheaper because that's what they specialize in.

I could be wrong.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
I have done it twice.

The cheapest way is to get the boxes from the shipping company, the shipping costs are lower when using their packaging. Last time I used FedEx, went great, shipped 13 boxes full of misc items when I moved to Miami. It was much cheaper than any moving company quoted me for, and a heck of a lot more reliable given the shady reputation many moving companies have.

I paid a little over $330 for the boxes to be shipped, not too bad in my opinion, this was from DC to Miami. I had three large boxes, and the rest were the medium size boxes. Contents were mostly clothes, bedding, pots/kitchen items, misc papers. The weight did not exceed the weight limit of the boxes which if I remember, around 20lbs or so. Basically looking at $1 per pound if I remember my rough estimating correctly.

If you have books, ship media mail via USPS.

For more personal items like photos, important papers, and souvenirs; I drove those items myself.

Nice thing is you can track your items, it is through carriers like FedEx who have proven reliability (unlike the numerous shady lower cost movers), and will even hold at the local office until you can pick it up (in case you would not be there yet to get, or not have a place to have the items delivered to).

Old 05-04-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have done it twice.

The cheapest way is to get the boxes from the shipping company, the shipping costs are lower when using their packaging. Last time I used FedEx, went great, shipped 13 boxes full of misc items when I moved to Miami. It was much cheaper than any moving company quoted me for, and a heck of a lot more reliable given the shady reputation many moving companies have.
Can you explain why it's better to get boxes from them? I actually just got a ton of boxes today from Home Depot...

Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

It really depends.

If you have to head down to the Mail Boxes, Etc. (UPS) or FedEx Office stores and ship out boxes at their rates, you will go broke.

If you work for a business with negotiated rates, it can be ridiculously inexpensive.

The other option would be to rent a small pod from PackRat or a dozen other services and have the pod shipped to your new location.

The great thing these days is that there are so many ways to do it.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Can you explain why it's better to get boxes from them? I actually just got a ton of boxes today from Home Depot...
If you use their boxes, which are standardize sizes for FedEx, you can get some special deal called one-rate or something, where to ship costs much cheaper. If you use your own boxes, you cannot get this special rate, and the size will cost more because FedEx like carriers in general, like standardized boxes so they can maximize the use of their space when shipping and handling.

Of course there are factors, like how many boxes, how much weight, if you already have boxes or not; I did not have any boxes, and the few I did have, I figured it was still about $8 cheaper per box shipped to ship using FedEx boxes including purchasing the new boxes.

This was in 2010, so things could change, and it was from DC to Miami, so your distance/location could result in different pricing schemes.

Best thing to do is just calculate how much weight you want to ship, then play around with the quote features for UPS and FedEx, and maybe get a shipping company quotes as well, then just decide what course of action you want to take.

Edit; I went and looked at my shipment; 397lbs and paid $311 for it. Then add the cost of 13 boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel