U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,766,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
For those comparing Cancun to Phuket and Thailand...lol. You don't know what you are missing
Yeah, Mexico is more of a regional destination, or a destination of convenience. It gets a lot of international tourists, but 90% of them are from one country (US). Very bland and uninspiring attractions (and I say that as a Mexican national)

Thailand on the other hand is a truly international travel destination, with people coming from all corners of the globe. Broad interest across the board. Thailand is on pace to break US$50 billion in international tourist receipts this year which will place it in top 5 internationally (behind US, China, France, and Spain). Will be interesting to see how much longer this tourism boom continues in Thailand, there is insane growth despite the political instability. Will probably break 30 million international arrivals next year. Wonder how long until it hits 40 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 11:37 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
For those comparing Cancun to Phuket and Thailand...lol. You don't know what you are missing

Hey...I've been to both, so I can compare!. There are also big bland hotels in Thailand! and the Riviera Maya outside of Cancun has its charms too. So for me it's a pat situation!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,118,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post

We'd like to spend 7-9 days in Thailand and hop around. Visit the beaches (swim with the luminescent plankton), hit Bangkok as well as Chiang Mai. Although we are open to all suggestions.

Bangkok seems to be the cheapest city but we'd probably only spend 2 days there, the others look considerably more expensive. I'll have to research the transportation more and also keep and eye out for better fares (I'll try Wednesdays). Thanks for the tips!
If you plan on the southern beaches to CHiang Mai, that is a lot of travel. You might also consider staying in guest houses. That can be roughing it a bit sometimes but doable. I'm not sure what you like to do so, hard to say.

Maybe the Thai Elephant Consevation Center. the market in Chiang Mai, Phimai Historical Park, I enjoyed seeing the Golden Buddha and some of the major temples.

Try this link https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr.../asia-thailand

I loved Thailand, Cambodia especially, Laos was interesting though a bit sad and Viet Nam. I love the area and the people but not those who promote the sex trade. It is an eye opener.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM

580 posts, read 605,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Hey...I've been to both, so I can compare!. There are also big bland hotels in Thailand! and the Riviera Maya outside of Cancun has its charms too. So for me it's a pat situation!
As have I. Even the large bland resorts in Phuket have beachside restaurants run by locals, free shuttles too and from town, in addition to friendly locals everywhere, and better service at the resort. With beaches, coral to die for on the Indian Ocean side.

Cancun has white coral beaches...without any life in the water. Service can be excellent, but can be spotty. More of a beach and that's it destination. And this is from someone who is a fluent Spanish speaker.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,256,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
If you plan on the southern beaches to CHiang Mai, that is a lot of travel. You might also consider staying in guest houses. That can be roughing it a bit sometimes but doable. I'm not sure what you like to do so, hard to say.

Maybe the Thai Elephant Consevation Center. the market in Chiang Mai, Phimai Historical Park, I enjoyed seeing the Golden Buddha and some of the major temples.

Try this link https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr.../asia-thailand

I loved Thailand, Cambodia especially, Laos was interesting though a bit sad and Viet Nam. I love the area and the people but not those who promote the sex trade. It is an eye opener.
I've been planning all weekend and realizing how far some of these places are. We are considering overnight trains and a flight. I've never been to Thailand before, any idea how early to get to the airport to catch a flight within the same country? Trying to figure out how long a two hour flight may really take.

Funny you mention guest houses. We are predominately looking at them as options over traditional hotels and hostels. They seem to be a great balance of amenities and coziness - for a great price. I've been in so many nice hotels this year for work, that I'm tired of them. I'll be posting a rough outline in the next few days, an I hope you can all share your input!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I'd love to take my family on a vacation this year, but in order to make this work, it would have to be on a shoe string budget as I'll be working a second job to save up They've expressed interest in Norway, Peru or Thailand. I've heard a lot about Thailand being inexpensive is probably the most realistic option, but that was a number of years ago. I'm thinking that December would be a good time to visit and 10 days around Christmas would be great.

So, on to my question...I've heard the best time to book airfare is 6 weeks before the time of travel. Right now the lowest fare I can find is 1280.00 - 1800 per person round trip for 24-26 hour flight from PDX to Bangkok. Is this a good deal? Are there better rates from the the west coast?

Or is there another, cheaper alternative destination we should consider? Scandinavia/Germany or warm Asian and South American beaches are preferred.

Please help!
Thailand is a charming place with many beautiful things. Great cultures, great people, variety of delicious food, and everything is cheap with quality. If you want city life with lively environment, go Bangkok. If you want a relaxation with beautiful beaches, go south. If you want some adventures such as climbing mountain, go north...

Moreover, the flight cost in Thailand is really really cheap. If you come to Thailand, flying to Japan, Malaysia, Korea is affordable price (try this link: http://www.zoominthailand.com/flight-to-thailand-before-going-to-japan-or-australia-for-the-worth-cheap-vacation/ ) to Thailand before going to Japan or Australia for the worth & cheap vacation | Zoom in Thailand - Holidays to Thailand . I highly recommend Thailand for your first choice

Last edited by xamde; 12-02-2014 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 AM

336 posts, read 417,682 times
Emirates Air has $875 ticket from Washington Dulles to Bangkok right now. The flight connects in Dubai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or