U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,792,539 times

Advertisements

Two nights in a boutique hotel in Soho, New York City, for about $950.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 02:56 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
Obviously I don't have as much money as a lot of people on this thread, but even if I was as wealthy as they seem to be, no way I would be paying 1000 $ for a weekend or 500 (or more) a night as some of them do. I would have the impression to throw my money in the nasket, however pleasant the experience; I'd rather spend that kind of money on someting useful, or on a charity-or save it for a rainy day!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 AM

6,157 posts, read 6,326,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Obviously I don't have as much money as a lot of people on this thread, but even if I was as wealthy as they seem to be, no way I would be paying 1000 $ for a weekend or 500 (or more) a night as some of them do. I would have the impression to throw my money in the nasket, however pleasant the experience; I'd rather spend that kind of money on someting useful, or on a charity-or save it for a rainy day!
The $510 I paid was work related and was paid for using a company credit card. Would I pay that much on a personal trip. Probably not. However when people are planning the trip of a lifetime I do not think it is unreasonable to make the hotel part of the experience. Often when I travel on vacation I will take the train making that part of my vacation and not look at it as simply getting from point A to point B.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
This is one of the lodges where we stayed in Uganda. It was worth it for two nights of pure luxury since the place we lived was on the primitive side. It was $290-310/night when we stayed but is now $340 for a regular double room - full board.. Much more for a suite. You can see elephants and other wildlife while dining or in the pool, all the meals (included in the price) are gourmet. Service is excellent. Massages are great.

Mweya Safari Lodge | Broader Horizons Guaranteed...

Old 05-09-2014, 05:53 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,063,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
If people have the money or its a special occasion, then why not?

And there is usually a reason why hotels cost $500/night. Location and luxury I assume are the top two. We never like to spend more than $150 a night when traveling but will splurge if need be.

If my husband wanted to pay $1000 for two nights because the hotel was actually where the proposal would take place AND he just got back from a 7 month deployment, then I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,281,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not in my hotel room except to sleep and shower, so I prefer to spend my travel dollars on something other than a place to sleep.
My sentiments exactly. Have always been puzzled as to why a room with a great view and perhaps a new TV with all the channels is worth triple the cost of a plain room. Sleep, up early, shave and shower, and then out is all I need.

First some disclaimers. My travel in recent years has been in the USA and I drive, not fly, thus I do not stay in hotels, I stay in motels. Except for a couple of day trips over and back to Canada, all of my visits to other nations have been made while I was wearing a uniform and getting paid for my travel. Next, I am a cheapskate and seek bargains and deals. Online coupons and those free coupon books, the ones with the green or yellow covers, are good sources.

All this being so, to answer the OP question, cannot recall ever paying more than $60 a night, usually less, on occasion, much less. Darned if I will pay a hundred bucks a night for a room, would sleep in the park or in my car first. Of course, this means staying in some real dumps. If I can find a deal for $24.95 a night at Joe's Cozy Motel, why then, will give old Joe my business. Of course, the cold blue steel of a revolver will rest very close beside me in case things at Joe's are not quite so safe, but that is another topic.

Final disclaimer; if traveling with a lady companion, everthing I said above may be off. A few places I have stayed would never take a woman to. Lucky for me, up until now, my female travel partners have been of a like mind, lets stay budget and save our travel dollars for the important things we came to see.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 PM

141 posts, read 161,267 times
Easily the £700 a night at the Four Seasons London was the most I've ever paid for a single room, which managed to eclipse even the outlandish cost of even a room at the Peninsula New York. I was there for work so I was thankful it was a business expense.

As for leisure travel, a 2-bedroom suite at the Cape Grace in Cape Town, South Africa set me back about US$1,500 a night.

Those were the days!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,093,004 times
$300/night in Singapore Fullerton Hotel.

Club floor privileges, including a champagne breakfast each morning, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails/canapés were included in that rate. Given what drinks go for in Singapore, it was wasn't a bad price.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,644,972 times
500 a night on South Beach, but that was years ago and not on my dime.

On my own dime, 130 bucks at some random Holiday Inn.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:06 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,342,391 times
Myself? I can't remember the price of the desert auberge I was tricked into staying at (which was actually pretty good...excellent location) in Morocco, but the most I ever paid with parking was about $90-$100 / night at the Doubletree Union Station in St. Louis, Missouri. The nominal cost of the room was $63 (a true deal on Hotwire), plus taxes and fees, and valet parking was $24 / night. Was it worth it? Yes, certainly. I can say without any doubt that it was the best hotel that I ever stayed at alone.

I don't really see the point, though, of staying at, say, a Hilton versus a Super 8 unless the Hilton has a far better location or has incredible ambiance (as the Union Station did). One hotel I would pay full price for is Breakwater Bay in Sandusky, Ohio, but that comes with a pass to the largest amusement park in the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or