Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM

132 posts, read 291,298 times

Advertisements

Hi I am trying to plan a trip for June and I want to fly through Spirit Airlines but I'm not too sure about them. Can anyone share their experience they had with Spirit? The flights are cheap but are there any hidden fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Many many hidden fees. Read their ticket terms and add-on pricing very carefully.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
plenty like beachmouse said ready carefuly

Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I travel with Spirit quite often. There are no hidden fees, everything is up front and easily read.

Spirit has allowed me to see many parts of the US by taking advantage of their cheap last minute flights. As long as you only travel with a carry on and don't check in any bags you don't have to worry. Luggage and food on the plane is where they get you. If you can deal with no drinks and peanuts and can travel with only a carry on you don't have anything to worry about.

People whine about ticket prices, and then a company goes and delivers cheaper tickets with no frills and people whine about that. Honestly, I feel bad for all of the airlines because majority of travelers just want to complain.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,031 times
I have only flown on Spirit Airlines once and will hesitate before flying with them again. The airline seems poorly run and may have questionable maintenance procedures. Our flight was repeatedly delayed, due to some maintenance concerns. There was very little information given to the customers and every thing we were told was pretty much proven wrong. For example, they would tell us the flight would be taking off at 3:00 pm and it would be 3:30 pm before anyone ever admitted that the flight was again delayed.

The scary thing was they pulled the gentlemen staffing the desk out to help work on the plane. Somehow I do not think he was a mechanic.

Sadly, the 2nd plane they finally flew in also has mechanical issues.

However, they did give us a single free drink on board, once we finally took off.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I have only flown on Spirit Airlines once and will hesitate before flying with them again. The airline seems poorly run and may have questionable maintenance procedures. Our flight was repeatedly delayed, due to some maintenance concerns. There was very little information given to the customers and every thing we were told was pretty much proven wrong. For example, they would tell us the flight would be taking off at 3:00 pm and it would be 3:30 pm before anyone ever admitted that the flight was again delayed.

The scary thing was they pulled the gentlemen staffing the desk out to help work on the plane. Somehow I do not think he was a mechanic.

Sadly, the 2nd plane they finally flew in also has mechanical issues.

However, they did give us a single free drink on board, once we finally took off.
How often do you fly?

"Maintenance" is the same excuse used by just about every single airline out there, and no airline is going to give much information. Any US commercial airline is going to be under the same rules and regulations as the other. Spirit is just as safe as any of the other airlines flying out of your airport.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I only flew Spirit Airlines once many years ago and it was okay.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Spirit charges $35 for carry ons, so add that on if you need any luggage at all.

Their fees aren't hidden but unless you are traveling with only a purse it will cost more than the price that shows up in a search.

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel

Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Spirit charges $35 for carry ons, so add that on if you need any luggage at all.

Their fees aren't hidden but unless you are traveling with only a purse it will cost more than the price that shows up in a search.

Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel
Anything that can fit under the seat is not charged. If you're flying Spirit, I highly doubt that you're going to be a business traveler, so using a backpack shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Not sure if anyone remembers the time that a Spirit flight had to be diverted and ended up having to land at an airport that they don't normally service. Because the crew had reached their maximum flight time and there was no local crew to replace them, the passengers were completely stranded.

No thanks. I don't need to fly that cheaply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel