U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM

6,074 posts, read 8,372,651 times

Advertisements

I am not an adventurous traveler at all, but I would really like to go to Egypt. I'm 30 - I can only hope one day in my life time I will feel it's safe enough to go. Or I'll just wait until I'm old enough I've lived enough it's okay if I don't make it back - hah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If you want to hear about the ultimate gutsy trip, read "The Places In Between" by Rory Stewart.

He walked across Afghanistan, alone, in winter, right after the US chased the Taliban out of power (but they were really just hiding in all the villages).

When he entered the country, the Afghan visa official told him in no uncertain terms - "You are going to die, you realize this? There is no way you will survive this trip". But he did (barely). It is an amazing story.
Yes! That would be some trip!
Much of Afghanistan is breathtaking. This would be a very risky AND very rewarding trip.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,187,976 times
I'd love to do Tehran. Even though I'm a dual citizen, I don't want to deal with crap the U.S. Government will inevitably give me.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:52 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
. Papua New Guinea can be dangerous, but I'd go there in a heartbeat. Maybe Cuba, but the only guts I'd need is fear of DOS issues.
All the little island groups in the South Pacific. I've been to French Polynesia a few times, but would love to see New Guinea, the Solomons, Samoa, Trobriand Islands (part of PNG). A logistical nightmare, and of course some danger.

I'm Canadian, I can go to Cuba anytime I like, and some day I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The Sea of Tranquility.
Yes! I'm there!

For me there is list of places that just seem impossible--Syria, Afghanistan, Libya, lots of parts of Africa. And a list of dicey places, such as Egypt and Ethiopia. Oh, and some places I would love to visit, but will not for ideological reasons--China for example--Burma used to be in that category but I'd go there (almost made it this year.)

Old 05-24-2014, 10:11 AM

241 posts, read 152,735 times
I have the guts to go anywhere. I also have the money to go anywhere. I just don't have the time to see everything right now. My business isn't going to run on its own.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:39 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,483,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I am not an adventurous traveler at all, but I would really like to go to Egypt. I'm 30 - I can only hope one day in my life time I will feel it's safe enough to go. Or I'll just wait until I'm old enough I've lived enough it's okay if I don't make it back - hah.
I second this. I kick myself for not going 20 years ago. I am getting closer to considering Columbia as a destination. We'll see.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM

27 posts, read 27,623 times
Probably Iran, Syria, Egypt, Israel. I would love to travel through Africa, too. I had a change to travel to Morroco from Spain years ago, but the return trip I would have had to make by myself, so I didn't. Maybe I'll go to all of these places when I'm 90, just in case something happens.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,077,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I second this. I kick myself for not going 20 years ago. I am getting closer to considering Columbia as a destination. We'll see.
Columbia is on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It's not dangerous at all.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,836,225 times
I went to Egypt in 2007 before all of the craziness started and I am very thankful I did. Back then the country had a perfectly good president and was stable.

Other than that, maybe Iran or Afghanistan?

Old 07-04-2014, 10:28 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,077,823 times
Afghanistan looks amazing and I second the Rory Stewart book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or