U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:34 PM

13,689 posts, read 8,594,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.

I've always wanted to fly to Istanbul, go by land across Turkey, go south to Israel, then head east, by land, clear across North Africa to Casablanca! Of course, with Syria in disarray now, I'd probably have to fly over that country!

But I know too well, it isn't going to happen, as I'm getting too up there in age!

How about you?
Take a freighter to India. Actually, I would land in Sri Lanka.
Then, using Indian transportation and staying in non-tourist, Indian hotels, travel until I am standing in front of The Taj Mahal.

Next year, when I turn 70, I am taking my 1990 4X4 GMC truck to Canada and up to the Arctic Circle. I'll post a picture.
But that's an easy trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,115,889 times
Have fun with the Arctic trip! My grandparents took an RV from Michigan to Alaska when they were in their early 70s and had a grand old time on the trip.

My not enough guts list would be Lebanon and Jordan. I picked up an old Lonely Planet guide to the Middle East on sale last week, and those countries sound like they've got amazing things to offer. I'd like to see Libya safe and welcoming American tourists. They've got some utterly amazing Roman ruins along the Med Coast.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:42 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,408,474 times
Chicago.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 AM

12,446 posts, read 10,913,870 times
Svalbard in the dead of winter.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,145,125 times
Quote:
We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.

I've always wanted to fly to Istanbul, go by land across Turkey, go south to Israel, then head east, by land, clear across North Africa to Casablanca! Of course, with Syria in disarray now, I'd probably have to fly over that country!

But I know too well, it isn't going to happen, as I'm getting too up there in age!

How about you?
Travel all across Europe and see the Northern Lights, then all throughout Asia, and all of the Unesco World Heritage sites. And, a trip to outter space would also be awesome!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM

4,889 posts, read 3,978,050 times
Have to be the Malasia/borneo/indonesia area, including Singapore. I also have been warned not to visit nepal/tibet Himalayan mountain area, which makes me want to do that one even more.
The other is Cuba, because it is a big "no-no" to go there. I would not fear anything happening to me while there, it is the return and the "Why were you in Cuba" garbage.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,324,026 times
Quote:
Mexico. I love Mexican food and would love to see the Mayan temples of Chichen Itza and Tulum, but Mexico is too corrupt and dangerous for me ever to risk my family's welfare to visit there. The horror stories that come out of that country just don't seem to happen at other Caribbean destinations, and if something ever does happen to you in Mexico, you are completely on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The other is Cuba, because it is a big "no-no" to go there. I would not fear anything happening to me while there, it is the return and the "Why were you in Cuba" garbage.
Cuba is fantastic. The people are super-friendly and the country is as safe as Canada. Just make sure you stay at a 4 or 5 star if you ever travel there.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 PM

5,705 posts, read 8,609,914 times
Quote:
what is stopping you? Travel has never been easier today... the internet and discount flights in many parts of the world have made it more accessible than ever.

I did the exact thing you described in 2010. I went to across Turkey, to Syria, Jordan, Israel, Egypt ended up as far south as Aswan before flying to the UAE. I did not go west though as that direction was politically unstable and it's very difficult to get visas to those countries (Libya and Algeria). I really wanted to go to Algeria as I am really interested in Rai music (Khaled, Cheb Mami etc.) but alas I decided not too due to risks with Al Qaeda and also the visa rules for Algeria are an absolute nightmare!

I really loved Syria, absolutely beautiful country and very nice and hospitable people. It's so immensely tragic what is happening there now What is worse is that people and little children are getting slaughtered everyday and we do nothing about it which is very very disturbing...anyway this is the travel forum and don't want to start a political controversy so I will stop there.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 PM

287 posts, read 409,064 times
My first, immediate thought was North Africa and the Middle East, and after a few glasses of wine, I'm happy to say that I still think it's a good idea.

The sheer amount of history contained in the food, people, and customs would probably make the visit worth it. I would love to see Morocco, Tangiers, Casablanca, Syria, Afghanistan, etc. I could see myself easily spending a month in that region... if I didn't get kidnapped or murdered before then.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,534,341 times
America by myself all summer.

I am here now with family but leaving soon. Don't want to leave because its much better here and is very boring back home. It is not much different either. Anything i've wanted I could find, I love the way the servers are so nice aswell.

I really cannot be assed going back to that country I DO NOT MISS it at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or