U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM

186 posts, read 166,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You might enjoy a blog series on blogger ''the 9-35 train from London to Sydney'' . It was mostly by train except for the obvious gaps and a few unavoidable disruptions. It is an interesting read.
(the-9-35-train-from-London-to-Sydney: So many visas)
Thanks! I have bookmarked the page. Will read later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 03:51 AM

7 posts, read 4,166 times
I would love to travel through Africa, but I am so much paranoid about all those diseases that you may catch there that I probably never will see Africa's picturesque landscapes...

Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I'd love to do Tehran. Even though I'm a dual citizen, I don't want to deal with crap the U.S. Government will inevitably give me.
I flew directly over Tehran two months ago...it was fascinating to look down onto the city and realize what it was. Of course, being in the Middle East itself was just surreal anyway!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM

124 posts, read 135,390 times
I would like to go to Yakutsk in mid-winter.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:43 AM

95 posts, read 102,356 times
Well... I once drove from Oregon down to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. That was back in like 2000 maybe. Tho this is not completely extreme. I always said I wanted to make that drive again. I had such great memories, and it was beautiful. I was much younger then, and took it for granted. Furthermore, I wish I would have had the time and taken the time to stop and smell the roses as they say. There were little villages, where I just wished I would have taken the time to stop and meet the people in the community.

However, in present time.. you would not find me driving south of the boarder. It is far too risky. Even then.. foolishly driving in the middle of the night we were set up by a road block which we nearly escaped. It would be far worse now.

So, if I had the guts... I would drive down there again.

I can think of other places such as the Middle East, Israel, Turkey, and essentially any place with increasingly high crime rates, and war torn countries. But really the one that sticks out the most... is simply driving to Cabo.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:13 AM

383 posts, read 320,601 times
1) Petra, Jordan
2) The Caucasus and Five Unknown 'Stans (Kazakh, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, Tajiki, Turkmeni-STAN.
3) Take the Transsiberian Train.
4) Anatolia (Eastern Turkey)
5) All the extant Biblical ruins in Asia.

For anyone interested in the Steppes of Central Asia, I can't recommend highly enough traveling by film:

1) Tulpan (Kazakhstan) Fantastic story about--of all things--unrequited love in a yurt.
2) The Loneliest Planet, a sometimes tedious but cinematographically breathtaking film set in the ominous Caucasus.
3) Once Upon a Time in Anatolia Turkish semi-noir.

And finally, for anyone in love with Thailand, you will have a fulfilling holiday if you rent the excessively strange but unforgettable "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives." You may hate this film while you watch it. I won't say what the film is really about, but you will never forget it.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 AM

383 posts, read 320,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.
Of all the sights I have ever seen in my life, the single one that stands out is crossing the Atlantic by ship during Communist Days (1977) on a Soviet liner. Hearing the shouts go out in the small hours, "There SHE is! You can see her! You can see her!" and then rushing up on deck to see the Statue of Liberty slowly slowly slowly come into view...I'm crying again just remembering it. No words to express the feeling.

Unforgettable.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 AM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
We're also assuming you have the time and money to do it, but it would take guts, involve some risk-taking.

I've always wanted to fly to Istanbul, go by land across Turkey, go south to Israel, then head east, by land, clear across North Africa to Casablanca! Of course, with Syria in disarray now, I'd probably have to fly over that country!

But I know too well, it isn't going to happen, as I'm getting too up there in age!

How about you?
That's a fun trip. I think you could do that quite easily!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:50 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,106,691 times
Azerbaijan. I don't think I'll do it in the next few years as the regime there doesn't seem to be too good right now.

North Philadelphia. I'd love to just wander round and take photos of the streets and buildings. Maybe I could hire someone to look after me while I did it? I've been through a couple of times by rail and it looks fascinating to me.

Aged 60 I'm starting to try and 'do' my bucket list so I'm doing the big one first and am planning a visit to Chile for 2017 - Valparaiso, Tierra del Fuego and Easter Island. Never been south of the Equator before.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:35 AM

6,433 posts, read 9,953,387 times
I would hike through the jungles of Vietnam and Malaysia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or