U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:24 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,326,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
Of all the sights I have ever seen in my life, the single one that stands out is crossing the Atlantic by ship during Communist Days (1977) on a Soviet liner. Hearing the shouts go out in the small hours, "There SHE is! You can see her! You can see her!" and then rushing up on deck to see the Statue of Liberty slowly slowly slowly come into view...I'm crying again just remembering it. No words to express the feeling.

Unforgettable.
That is a very moving story.

Some years ago my wife and I had the opportunity to sail across the Pacific as the only paying passengers on a freighter. We were supposed to go from Auckland to Los Angeles, but after a stop in Suva, Fiji, we were informed that the shipping company had redirected the ship to go to San Francisco instead.

Two weeks later, having seen precisely ONE other vessel the entire time - and that one many miles away - we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge at last light on a Christmas Eve. Seeing the giant bridge from that perspective in the twilight (and, I might say, while freezing our little bottoms off) was nearly a spiritual experience.

"I lift my lamp beside the golden door," it says on the Statue of Liberty.

"San Francisco, open your Golden Gate; You'll let nobody wait outside your door," goes the song from the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,388,993 times
I have the guts to do what I want (money is the issue ). Just 2 months ago I got back from my first backpacking trip, an 1,800 mile trek on the Appalachian Trail.

My next ambitious goal is to either thru-hike the PCT on the West coast or to Thru hike the Camino de Santiago. Also one day I would love to do some white water rafting or kayaking in the white water in Chile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or