Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Maybe Cuba, but the only guts I'd need is fear of DOS issues.

Millions of people go visit Cuba every year. It is safer than most American cities. No idea why one needs "guts" to do that. My 20 year old friend just visited Cuba last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Hitchhike across America, coast to coast.
that sounds extremely safe.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
From somewhere in the UK all the way to Singapore...almost all of that on land/wheels--except perhaps a short ferry ride between Iran and Turkey. That's not necessarily the longest land route but certainly very varied culturally. The future generations will be doing such things and laugh at the contemporary human beings' petty conflicts which prevents us from making such a trip NOW.
I doubt it seriously. There has got be be a reason why someone would want to.

WHY would anyone WANT to drive 8,000 miles like that (other than a VERY small core of adventurists) when you can fly there in 13 hours.

That is further than driving from Alaska to Chile (minus the Darien Gap) yet almost no one ever does that.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM

388 posts, read 275,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I doubt it seriously. There has got be be a reason why someone would want to.

WHY would anyone WANT to drive 8,000 miles like that (other than a VERY small core of adventurists) when you can fly there in 13 hours.

That is further than driving from Alaska to Chile (minus the Darien Gap) yet almost no one ever does that.
A little back paddling by me: Indeed, I can't predict what future generations would say about that ultimate road trip--from London to Singapore--but I don't think dismissing that idea by comparing to 13 hours of flight to get there is fair either. And I also think that, compared with the North America to Chile trip, a London to Singapore road trip is going to have much more cultural diversity--and (currently) many more dangers...

Anyway, if we are talking about 'guts' then the 8000 miles trip (London to Singapore) is, to me, the ultimate (and doable--unlike climbing Everest, for me) challenge.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Millions of people go visit Cuba every year. It is safer than most American cities. No idea why one needs "guts" to do that. My 20 year old friend just visited Cuba last winter.
And no State Department problems if you use an appropriately licensed 'people to people'/cultural tour.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yeah exactly, I know people going next month for christmas. Perfectly safe.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,258 times
Quote:
A little back paddling by me: Indeed, I can't predict what future generations would say about that ultimate road trip--from London to Singapore--but I don't think dismissing that idea by comparing to 13 hours of flight to get there is fair either. And I also think that, compared with the North America to Chile trip, a London to Singapore road trip is going to have much more cultural diversity--and (currently) many more dangers...

Anyway, if we are talking about 'guts' then the 8000 miles trip (London to Singapore) is, to me, the ultimate (and doable--unlike climbing Everest, for me) challenge.
Ohhhh, believe me, i am a poster boy for ecoteric travel, so i totally get what you are saying about wanting to do it. i was questioning that a lot of ppl would do it.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:16 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
A place that I really want to see but would be well out of my comfort zone, probably Bangkok.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
A place that I really want to see but would be well out of my comfort zone, probably Bangkok.
I just returned from 8 months in Thailand. Bangkok was quite civilized, except a couple locations of protestors (during the coup).

You can get excellent 'western' hotels and tours in Bangkok. (~$70/day)

or...
you can safely vacation there like a local for under $30 / day.

Airfare is pretty cheap right now, tho prime season is approaching. Next April will be cheap (HOT in Thailand April - June)

Old 11-18-2014, 09:53 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
From somewhere in the UK all the way to Singapore...almost all of that on land/wheels--except perhaps a short ferry ride between Iran and Turkey. That's not necessarily the longest land route but certainly very varied culturally. The future generations will be doing such things and laugh at the contemporary human beings' petty conflicts which prevents us from making such a trip NOW.
You might enjoy a blog series on blogger ''the 9-35 train from London to Sydney'' . It was mostly by train except for the obvious gaps and a few unavoidable disruptions. It is an interesting read.
(the-9-35-train-from-London-to-Sydney: So many visas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel