U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:28 AM

1,915 posts, read 2,051,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?
Nice idea, and if you are only traveling within the USA, no problem.

However, when traveling abroad, US carriers have partnerships with, and sometimes outright own, "foreign" carriers. And vice versa. So your Delta flight ends up being a KLM flight, for example (their partnership is very common) when you get to your gate. See also British Airways / US Airways (unless ownership has changed)

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,449,460 times
Has it ever occured to you that people in America are not the only people on earth who derserve jobs?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 AM

8,260 posts, read 11,124,485 times
About as practical as trying to buy a car with only American parts.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,305,444 times
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!

Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM

5,532 posts, read 5,979,759 times
The current trend Is buying American? No, it is not! Some people are pitching this idea, but it's not really a trend. First, since there are so many items that aren't made in the US anymore. America chose to destroy its industrial base decades ago. You are 30 years too late....
The airline industry however is a different story. It suffered endless mergers and acquisitions. Then, 9/11 came and changed it forever. Sometimes I fly Delta from JFK and its one of the worst experiences. Looks and feels like a cattle drive in the old west.
The general level of service deteriorated to previously unknown levels and many airlines (foreign included) are the same. But I think some Asian airlines are doing better (such as Singapore, Korean, etc). Anyway, I try avoiding American airports as much as I can. I consider them among the worst in the world (assuming we don't count Kabul and Mogadishu).

Last edited by oberon_1; 05-07-2014 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,838,891 times
Quote:
I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!
Ummm ... you do realize that just because it's an American airline, that doesn't mean that they only employ Americans, right? With international hubs, I guarantee they have employees worldwide. Nice try.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,979,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Ummm ... you do realize that just because it's an American airline, that doesn't mean that they only employ Americans, right? With international hubs, I guarantee they have employees worldwide. Nice try.
That is correct.
My feeling is that if they only could, they would eliminate American workers all together. But its hard to blame them as its the trend in every industry. Wall Street likes that.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:19 PM

32,094 posts, read 33,002,049 times
Quote:
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?
No because that is not always possible. If one has to take domestic flights within a foreign country there will not be American carriers available to fly with.

In any case, my choice of carriers will depend on the price and that doesn't always mean an American based airline.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:11 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,530,461 times
I don't like flying odd unknown airlines.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,287,498 times
Quote:
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!
And do you also think it's only Americans that built the planes, or the components for the planes, or work at the International airports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Exactly.

Pretty sure I'm Retired Now is the same dude who previously posted as "imretired" and various other incarnations, who creates lots of threads with made-up stories and/or controversial topics, posts a few times in the thread, and then never comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or