U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:41 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,707,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!

Sorry, but that is not always the case. During the great recession a few years ago, I had round trip tickets from Newark to Amsterdam on KLM. At the last minute they switched carriers for the return trip from KLM to Continental. I found out that I would be flying in a Continental plane when I approached the gate to board. A flight attendant I briefly spoke with mentioned something about a change at the last minute, and that these were not good times for the airlines. There could not have been any more than 40 or 50 people on that wide bodied plane as each row of about 9 seats had only one person.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,606,412 times
Quote:
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?
You are just scared, think their airline will crash and are racist.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

7,229 posts, read 12,680,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Do you also make sure you fly Boeing and not Airbus? or Embraer? or Bombardier? Oh wait, nevermind, most of the Dreamliner's pieces come from overseas anyway.

But back to your question -- hell no. I try hard not to pass judgment but this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Um, consider the source.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!
The money does not go to just Americans. Airlines are corporations, in which the shareholders could be anyone in the world. Go browse who owns a company like Delta and you will be surprise, then dive in and find who holds a lot of the institutional funds.

US airlines also depend a lot on foreigners flying, US airlines would lose a lot of money if all foreigners all of a sudden started using their own domestic airline.

The best thing to do for US companies and Americans in general is to fly the airline that provides the best value for you. This creates an atmosphere of competition, thus an incentive for US airlines and foreign to improve their services. If people went just by nationalistic reasons, there would be no incentive to improve.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:54 PM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
I guess you have not flown a lot, numerous times the airline will switch and you will all of a sudden find yourself on another airline even though your booking and ticket says another one.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM

269 posts, read 593,948 times
Quote:
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.
Which is American made products---Toyota made in Kentucky or iPhones made in China?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 PM

9,266 posts, read 11,849,807 times
The OP will probably have a heart attack if we explain Swissport....

Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 AM

663 posts, read 817,290 times
I recently flew Malaysia Airlines - no kidding, after their disappearance. They codeshare with American Airlines on flights from the US to Tokyo - the flight is thus on AA - and the ticket was HALF the cost of a ticket purchased through AA.

OP is also missing out on some of the best airlines in the world - comfort, service, food, etc - like ANA, Emirates, SAS - I will pick one of those every time over "our" carriers given the chance.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 AM

38,021 posts, read 55,817,679 times
Quote:

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?
Nope. I fly with whatever airline has a good deal and is convenient for me. For flights overseas I prefer European airlines.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Which is American made products---Toyota made in Kentucky or iPhones made in China?
If the OP firmly believes that he's flying in an American-made aircraft by flying American Airlines he's of course quite incorrect. The majority of the American fleet is Boeing and, according to the company:

"Some of the heaviest components of the aircraft, such as the engine, are built in the United States. But the central fuselage is made in Italy; the landing gear comes from France; the cargo doors are manufactured in Sweden, and the raked wings are from South Korea. Final assembly is done in the United States."

I guess the name, "American" has confused his latest attempt at fictional writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or