Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,678 posts, read 57,964,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!
let me guess.... a displaced union retiree?

Do you check your legacy 'American' company is not based in the Virgin Island for USA tax relief?
(America of course, encompasses North and South and Central and Mexico And Canada)

I fly about 50x / yr, and based overseas. If I get on an 'American' flight in my country, it is piloted and staffed by an foreign crew.

Having lived several places overseas, I'm sure glad I don't get your kind of welcome while I interact with workers and companies from 6-10 different countries everyday and I'm pleased that I work for a USA company the values the tremendous talent and contribution of its non-national workforce.

I too am from a skilled trade that was displaced from USA 25 yrs ago, BUT... I see the value in other races and nationalities. I took the opportunity to join and enable them to have a better life, as well as keep my skill and apply it in USA and abroad. USA has opportunity bar none, and we _iss is away as a nation, but there are many immigrants that still make it work. They live and own shops in your neighborhood and they hire locals and pay YOUR local taxes! Your grandparents probably did the same.

My apprenticeship would have been pretty shallow if I would have only listened to the USA tradesmen. The eastern European craftsmen brought me tremendous knowledge and talent. By befriending them and their families, I have had a lifelong pleasure of learning and appreciating foreigners. (And I enjoy the Classical music they bought us 300 yrs ago). Wow... If I had to only listen to American (USA) music, I would go postal! in true "only-in-the-USA" fashion

BTW, the BEST flight I recently had was on Emirates and I was extremely well cared for by Brazilian and Dutch flight attendants. I sat next to a Danish gal that grew up in Thailand, and was off to Hong Kong for job. I met my friends from Canada doing mission work for the drug addicted in the Philippines and we enjoyed time in Singapore and Malaysia. I was happy to support the economies of all the countries and glad I have an abundance to share.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,550,532 times
Quote:
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?

No, American airline cabin crews are generally not a happy bunch in the grand scheme of cabin crews. I much prefer the service offered by certain foreign airlines.

Last edited by bg7; 05-08-2014 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,315,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No, American airline cabin crews are generally not a happy bunch in the grand scheme of cabin crews. I much prefer the service offered by certain foreign airlines.
Reluctantly agree. Along with displaying general unhappiness, I increasingly note that American air crews are also disproportionately slovenly, obese and incompetent, compared to most foreign airlines --- in particular Singapore Air, ANA, KLM Royal Dutch, and Thai Airlines. The idea of customer service seems to have been forgotten among many American corporations in general (including airlines), and the attitude of their employees reflects this...

Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM

3,764 posts, read 4,095,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nope. I fly with whatever airline has a good deal and is convenient for me. For flights overseas I prefer European airlines.

I agree with the above posters, but with the exception of Lufthansa. Their customer service is rotten, much worse than any US or third world airline. I am battling them now as I paid full fare for a round trip from the US, and received nothing because of a snow cancellation; no refund and no credit toward another trip. Yes, it is against EU airline passenger regulations, but they don't care. I can't say anything bad about their safety record though, their food, or the way they run their flights, just rotten customer service. Because of this, in the future I will probably stick to American carriers across the ocean as it seems like a better option than an airline that steals more than a thousand dollars from me.

Last edited by james777; 05-08-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,898,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I try hard not to pass judgment but this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Haha. Fully agree.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Haha. Fully agree.

Don't worry, it isn't sincere, the OP is well known for his fiction writing.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 PM

126,251 posts, read 19,019,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nope. I fly with whatever airline has a good deal and is convenient for me. For flights overseas I prefer European airlines.
I am the same way elnina... to Europe I also like to fly with European Airline,to India we flew Continental Airline and within Canada we fly West Jet or Air Canada.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM

19,425 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Quote:
It is very easy to go on the Internet and find out what actual Airline you will be flying on in any code share arrangement. I research it and always fly an American based Airline so the money goes to Americans and employ Americans!
Surely you realize that Delta, American, United, etc. ALL have employees at their foreign airports, and that most of those employees are NOT American citizens?

Edited to add: Oberon already stated this very well.

While I respect your aspiration, it's an illogical and likely impossible goal.

BTW, I assume you NEVER NEVER NEVER go on a cruise ship? Or buy most items in Walmart and Sears? Or produce in every grocery store?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:52 PM

8,037 posts, read 7,410,828 times
I'm surprised at how many people are downright hostile to the idea of "buying American". If you don't care about buying American, fine. But why the hostility?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM

706 posts, read 1,041,275 times
Quote:
The trend now is to buy American made products. With that in mind if at all possible I want to spend my money in America and fly on American Airlines.

I feel a bit guilty flying overseas and spending my money in a foreign country but occasionally I will go to Europe. But I always insist on flying an American based airline that hires Americans and spends it's money on American products so Americans can work.

Do you agree?
Uh...all the parts are probably made overseas... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.