U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
What physics?
You're not changing the volume of the clothing by the way you fold it. You're only re-distributing its folded shape and potentially compressing some air out of it. This can be confirmed by measuring the volume displacement. Put a shirt in a bucket of water and see that the water line does not raise or lower according to the way you fold, roll or wad the shirt.

If the rolling method works for you it's because it fits together well with the way you pack and probably also because you're not a good folder. There are pros and cons to either method but the clothing's volume never changes. If you really want to compress your clothing, use a compression bag, or fold them carefully and then put them under your mattress for a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
Of course the volume of clothes is always the same, but the distribution of usable space won't always work in your favour. I can get several rolls of shirts or pants across in a bag before starting a new layer, but if I fold, I get one shirt or pant per layer which depending on the fabric, can already be just as thick as a single layer of rolls. By the time I'm done packing everything in to a bag, it doesn't work out as well. And again, it doesn't wrinkle. And I don't have to plan to fold stuff under my mattress a day ahead of time either.

Though these compression bags could work. I don't know anything about them.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
I roll pants, tanks, tees, and lightweight sweaters.

I fold and bundle cotton shirts around packing cubes.

When I arrive at a destination, I pull out the next day's outfit and hang it in the bathroom to steam. Never have to use an iron.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:17 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,058,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I can get several rolls of shirts or pants across in a bag before starting a new layer, but if I fold, I get one shirt or pant per layer which depending on the fabric, can already be just as thick as a single layer of rolls.
Rolling makes things easier to find, too. You don't have to separate or pull out the layers or unpack the whole bag.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I used to hate packing but since retiring I travel so much that it's become a routine and easy task. I don't even think about it, just throw stuff in and go. Using packing cubes really helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Rolling makes things easier to find, too. You don't have to separate or pull out the layers or unpack the whole bag.
And rolling stuff in the packing cubes makes things extra easy to roll AND to find. We just went away for ten days, stayed in two different places and I never really unpacked. The cubes sort of acted like drawers INSIDE my suitcase. Now my husband wants a set! Love those packing cubes.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Love it.

Our holiday is under 6 weeks away but at the 7 week point my mum started packing.

Although I think she is doing it earlier as she is fed up staying up all night packing. The last time we went to America we were all still up at 3am packing. We had to get up at 7am that morning.

This time we have to get up at 5am so that will not be happening. We need our energy to stay awake to 11pm American time.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,505,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't love or hate packing. I pack the night before the trip and if I'm going on a long trip I will pack my big suitcase because I get a free checked bag. If I'm going domestic then I just pack my carry on. Packing for me is a 15-20 minute process.
Yes I don't actually see why it takes so long. It takes my mum hours and hours and hours.

She always puts in far too much stuff!!!! This time we are going to try and get her to put hardly anything in as our holiday is for 5 weeks. You can't pack for 5 weeks and we want to bring back loads of stuff.

But yes really can't understand why it takes people so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel