U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why in the heck would you book a room that does not allow for you to check-in when you arrive?
Uh, because most hotel rooms won't allow you to check in before their posted check in time, which is usually between 2:00 and 4:00 pm.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Congratulations. You experienced Paris on the one and only Sunday morning when nothing was open. The last date that happened was June 14, 1940 and the Nazi's were marching into the city.

I hope you took lots of pictures.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So, with a sleeping pill and some alcohol I will be able to sleep on the plane during the overnight flight sitting up in economy class and arrive at Europe feeling great ready to walk the street until mid afternoon when my room is ready?
Book a business class seat that lies flat, book a day room, or deal with it. Your choice. Travel is NOT a right, and if you aren't happy doing it, perhaps you should stay home.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
What time did you leave New York then on this 'overnight flight'? I've never gotten anywhere in Europe that early on an overnight flight. That sounds like a 4-5PM flight to me. You're on that plane for at least 7 hours plus the 6 hours of time zones you skip through.

This is your responsiblity anyways, not the hotel's. Why should you be excused for not making sure of the check in time and making better arrangements? Hotels are serviced between the very reasonable and standard hours you posted and you're making it sound like they are barbarians for this. It's one of those things you deal with or book a better flight.

And finally, I don't even believe this really happened.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:59 PM

15,065 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why in the heck would you book a room that does not allow for you to check-in when you arrive?
I'd say that's fairly common practice if you arrive prior to 1PM. Especially if the hotel is booked up the night before. What are they gonna do - throw somebody out because you showed up at 6:30am?

Nope, the ONLY way to guarantee a super early check in like that is to book the room for the day before, which means paying for another full night that you will not use until early am. Which is often the best thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
What time did you leave New York then on this 'overnight flight'? I've never gotten anywhere in Europe that early on an overnight flight. That sounds like a 4-5PM flight to me. You're on that plane for at least 7 hours plus the 6 hours of time zones you skip through.
Many Airlines have flights that leave the US around 5pm and arrive in Paris between 4:30am and 6:30am, including American, Delta, Air France, etc. Even more common to arrive that early when you fly into Heathrow or Gatwick.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 05-14-2014 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM

20,695 posts, read 19,501,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

This is your responsiblity anyways, not the hotel's. Why should you be excused for not making sure of the check in time and making better arrangements? Hotels are serviced between the very reasonable and standard hours you posted and you're making it sound like they are barbarians for this. It's one of those things you deal with or book a better flight.

And finally, I don't even believe this really happened.
Erm it depends where you go.

We left EWR at 10pm and arrived in Belfast at 8am. It doesn't have to leave at 5. If it left at 5 it would arrive here at about 3am.

And its never 7 hours even to Europe!!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:37 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,076,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

We left EWR at 10pm and arrived in Belfast at 8am. It doesn't have to leave at 5. If it left at 5 it would arrive here at about 3am.

Sure it is. It's about 8 hours from NYC to Warsaw, for example. Obviously longer if you're coming from somewhere other than the East Coast.

As for your first point, I think you are forgetting the fact that you're in a different time zone. +5 hours to the UK, +6 to most of continental Europe.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post

We're not talking about other airports. We're talking NYC to Paris which is 7 hours with a 6 hour time difference. Paris isn't in Ireland.

And you personally feel there are too many timezones between Europe and North America? Well tough sh*t kiddo. Time zones aren't designed for moaning kids who fly bi-annually for vacation. You don't have to travel. Stay home and give your ticket to someone who can't afford and would appreciate the adventure without the whinebag attitude.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:48 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,076,636 times
Not the business travelers, who make up the majority of air travel, who would lose a day by flying.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times
> I personally feel that there are too many timezones

How many are you recommending?

Or maybe we should put more of them in the Pacific Ocean, where nobody lives anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or