U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 AM

20,793 posts, read 53,989,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
This. Someone staying in a mid to high 3 figure or 4 figure per night room doesn't care if the internet is free or that that breakfast may cost $50 per person or $30 per day parking fees especially if it is a city hotel. It's a completely different level of expectations, service and accommodations.
This doesn't only happen in the most expensive hotels though. Some of it is location but even in hotels in the $150ish range will charge extra for internet, breakfast, etc. You can get around this by being member of their rewards program, for internet anyway. I travel a lot for work and run into this in a lot of Radissons, Marriotts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:32 AM

182 posts, read 374,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This doesn't only happen in the most expensive hotels though. Some of it is location but even in hotels in the $150ish range will charge extra for internet, breakfast, etc. You can get around this by being member of their rewards program, for internet anyway. I travel a lot for work and run into this in a lot of Radissons, Marriotts, etc.
Exactly! My wife and I were in Norfolk a month ago and we stayed at a Hilton hotel. It wasn't downtown or anything, it was by the airport. The room was $109 per night. In fact, the weekend we stayed there, it was actually being branded down to a Doubletree Hotel. I woke up one morning and went down to the lobby expecting free breakfast. Most of the hotels that I stay at in that price range offer a free hot breakfast or at least a free continental breakfast. That was not the case at the Doubletree, I went down there and the breakfast buffet was $15 per person. No thank you... My wife and I left the hotel went to Chick-Fil-A and we BOTH ate for $15, lol.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Try La Quinta. Usually around $60-$100/night depending on location and day of the week. Clean, comfortable, great beds. Pets stay free.
Yuck! I won't stay anyplace that isn't as least as nice as my home, and no LaQuinta ever came close.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
Exactly! My wife and I were in Norfolk a month ago and we stayed at a Hilton hotel. It wasn't downtown or anything, it was by the airport. The room was $109 per night. In fact, the weekend we stayed there, it was actually being branded down to a Doubletree Hotel. I woke up one morning and went down to the lobby expecting free breakfast. Most of the hotels that I stay at in that price range offer a free hot breakfast or at least a free continental breakfast. That was not the case at the Doubletree, I went down there and the breakfast buffet was $15 per person. No thank you... My wife and I left the hotel went to Chick-Fil-A and we BOTH ate for $15, lol.
most airport area hotels charge for parking.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
This. Someone staying in a mid to high 3 figure or 4 figure per night room doesn't care if the internet is free or that that breakfast may cost $50 per person or $30 per day parking fees especially if it is a city hotel. It's a completely different level of expectations, service and accommodations.
More likely to be $30 pp breakfast and $50 parking.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yup.

People need to spend five minutes doing a little research. Join the loyalty at Omni and get coffee or tea delivered for FREE to your room in the morning--even if you have no "status."

PHG, Kimpton, Omni, and Fairmont offer free WiFi just for joining, no status required.

Often on weekends, Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood offer a "Bed and Breakfast" package which gives a free full breakfast to each guest on the reservation, plus a discounted room rate (off rack.)

I stayed at the Intercontinental at Cleveland Clinic over a weekend for $159 per night, which got me to the executive floor--so hot breakfast and evening snacks were included. Frette linens, a large, super clean, spacious room, super nice toiletries, the list went on. Really nice hotel at a great price.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I have never seen this mentioned, so I'm going to throw it out there. Why does it seem like often the more you pay, the less you get? For instance, I can stay at a motel in the range of $60-$70 per night and park my car for free and get a complimentary breakfast in the morning OR I can pay about double that for a motel with no breakfast and pay $15 for the privilege of parking on their property. How does this make sense when normally, as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for"?
Location, location, location. Unless the two properties are literally next door to each other, you can't compare them.

The Courtyard in downtown Boston is going to make me pay for parking, where space is at a premium. The Courtyard in Waltham has free parking and a lower room rate. The rooms in the hotels are practically identical in layout, decor, and amenities. (The one in downtown has a really nice view if you can get a high floor.) The difference? If you need to be in Boston for a meeting or tourism, the Waltham location is going to require you to travel in Boston traffic and pay for parking anyhow, the downtown location is walkable to many points in Boston, and instead of needing to leave an extra hour travel time "just in case," you know that it's a 10-15 minute walk to your destination.

Location, location, location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or