U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM

15,069 posts, read 19,002,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I was floored when I saw this video the other day, but it certainly speaks to the benefit of hard-sided luggage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxZMbhwytw
Not really. It speaks to the rule of Don't Check Your Luggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Not really. It speaks to the rule of Don't Check Your Luggage.
But that's not always feasible. I would use the rule, "Don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage"!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,184,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What are the pros and cons of hardside luggage, beside the obvious fact that something large and delicate should better be put in such a luggage?
It keeps your stuff safe and dry. At an airport, both important.

They also often have wheels, which make your luggage easier to move around - less throwing and more rolling on the ramp.

As a baggage handler, hardsided luggage with four wheels are the absolute best, though I personally don't like them because other things slide on plastic and makes my job more difficult.

You don't want to know what your stuff gets put through when you can't see it.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:45 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Lots of hard-sided luggage these days has zippers too instead of clasps. We had been looking for new hard-sided lately but weren't happy with the options so went with a soft wheelie that has zippers that are not supposed to allow themselves to open by the pen trick.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

509 posts, read 354,282 times
I had a project in an airport installing a baggage handling system. There were areas below the airport in the tunnels where bags are allowed to drop as much as 4 feet. Any one that has ever worked in these areas will tell you that the first bags to break open are the hard sided ones, especially the Samsonites.

If you are to use one of these, and check it, be sure it has additional straps around it.

And on another note, I fly for my job about 45 weeks each year. I check a bag every time and have never lost one and very seldom have one arrive late. It is so nice to walk around the airport with both hands free (via a small backpack)!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
We saw a bunch of destroyed hardsided luggage sitting in the lobby at the LAX Hilton last week. Dented, cracked--soft-sided bags would have held up much better.

Also to whoever said soft-sided is lightere, I beg to differ. My one soft-sided bag weighs 3 pounds, the other is about 4.5.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
But that's not always feasible. I would use the rule, "Don't put anything valuable in your checked luggage"!
Agreed. I try not to check bags, but when flying on a regional aircraft, there isn't always a choice.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
I've always used soft-sided because they are physically flexible. I don't have different luggage for flights and car trips, and I like suitcases that can get pushed into shape a bit. With hard-sided, if it doesn't fit, it just doesn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or