Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:45 PM

156 posts, read 514,839 times

Advertisements

So, I guess this isn't necessarily a question about houston.. but thought I might be able to find some helpful info here. I just moved to houston and am in Sugarland, so close enough to both IAH and Hobby. Problem is my girlfriend is back in PA and we need to figure out the cheapest way we can actually get to see each other for the next year or so. Most round trip Fri-Sun flights are in the $500 range. Checking some travel sites it looks like we've found individual flights to total around $350.. but the times aren't always ideal and this is still a tough monthly expense on us.

Anyone might have any other good suggestions? My CC earns points but on a month to month basis most I'll be earning is enough to cover a few percent of the flight. I checked spirit airlines but they don't fly into PHL. Unsure really of what other options may be available, if any.

Just figured I'd try to get some added suggestions! Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM

238 posts, read 696,151 times
I fly a lot, and the best/cheapest days and times to travel is tues, wed, and sat, and take either super early 6 am flights or super late night red eye flights. May have to settle for layovers at busy airports. Avoid fridays and sundays altogether.

I hate to be a downer, but how long do you and your girlfriend think y'all can keep this up? Are you planning to move closer to her soon, or is she planning to move to Houston to be with you?

If a move isn't already in the works, how do you think this is going to work in the long run?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM

156 posts, read 514,839 times
Thanks for the concern.. but yes, most likely she will be transferring out here as well next year. So hopefully this will only be lasting a little while, but it's still a lot of money in flights over a year.

And I definitely understand about the fridays and sunday.. but I just don't say any way that's possible. With both of us working monday to friday we have to do flights on those days.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
The general rules apply and it's been repeated in this forum many times, there is no secret discount website, there is no secret tip, there are no coupons, discount memberships (except frequent flyer points), forget Priceline, Expedia, etc...William Shatner will not help you here. The simple secrets to the best flight bargains:
1.) Be flexible in your flight times and dates
2.) Be flexible in your airports (fly out of Austin? Fly into a different NE airport?).
3.) Use a good airfare search engine to find your cheapest option, with consideration over 1&2
4.) When you find your best option, book directly with the airlines website

I use this search engine, note you can filter it for choice of airports within a certain radius, and choice of flights over a given range of dates:
Matrix - ITA Software

Old 05-14-2014, 05:34 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Hitchhiking is the cheapest

Old 05-14-2014, 05:46 PM

61,642 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Subscribe (or get a phone app) to Travelzoo - they have pretty good deals.

also depends on your search:
http://www.cheapflights.com/flights-...ercontinental/

You can also check the calendar:
http://www.kayak.com/Cheap-Flights-P...HL.IAH.co.html

or try Priceline:
http://www.priceline.com/insideTrack...lphia-PHL.html

Last edited by elnina; 05-14-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 06:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The general rules apply and it's been repeated in this forum many times, there is no secret discount website, there is no secret tip, there are no coupons, discount memberships (except frequent flyer points), forget Priceline, Expedia, etc...William Shatner will not help you here. The simple secrets to the best flight bargains:
1.) Be flexible in your flight times and dates
2.) Be flexible in your airports (fly out of Austin? Fly into a different NE airport?).
3.) Use a good airfare search engine to find your cheapest option, with consideration over 1&2
4.) When you find your best option, book directly with the airlines website

I use this search engine, note you can filter it for choice of airports within a certain radius, and choice of flights over a given range of dates:
Matrix - ITA Software

#1..........hard to be flexible when you work Mondays-Fridays
#2..........the farther away the airport, the less time together when both work Monday thru Friday

Your first paragraph was spot on !

Old 05-14-2014, 06:23 PM

61,642 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ OP just said that he needs to fly Fri-Sun ...

Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 PM

238 posts, read 696,151 times
If you're stuck with Fri/Sun, shop around for the cheapest airline & airports to fly to/from. You could sign up for low fare alerts, too.

Hope all works out for you and your girlfriend!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Thanks for the concern.. but yes, most likely she will be transferring out here as well next year. So hopefully this will only be lasting a little while, but it's still a lot of money in flights over a year.

And I definitely understand about the fridays and sunday.. but I just don't say any way that's possible. With both of us working monday to friday we have to do flights on those days.

read the OP's last sentence before wasting time giving advice that doesn't meet his criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel