U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,061,781 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been? And do you recommend a certain one for someone who just wants to snorkel and take in the scenery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,590,315 times
Yes, i've SCUBA dived in Dos Ojos and Dreamgate cenotes, this was a few years ago. There are tours from Playa Del Carmen, check with Fantasea divers... I used them and they were awesome! They also take snorkelers along with the divers if you just want to snorkel... however, i'm not quite sure what you will see snorkeling in a Cenote, there aren't many fish, diving in a Cenote is more about the underwater formations

Diving Playa Del Carmen, Dive Center, Cenotes, Tech and full Cave diving

Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Dos Ojos is amazing. Gran Cenote is also very nice. I visited those two and Calavera, which is not so great. I've seen photos of some that look even more dramatic, but I've only researched the ones around Tulum where I was staying.

You really don't need a tour as they are straightforward and there is no reason to follow someone around them. They are quite small, and you can't get get under the cave systems without diving certification which seems like the only reason to use a guide in the first place. They also only cost like 5USD or less to get in when I visited last year. Depending on where you are based (Cancun? Tulum? Playa Del Carmen?) it'll cost you between $5-20 to get to either of those via public transport or taxi.

Just pick up some cheap snorkelling masks at a Mexican department store and you're good to. Renting will cost more than they're worth and even a crappy pair will do the trick. I went thinking I didn't want to snorkel, but you'll definitely want to once you see how clear the water is. Luckily someone lent me a set. When you swim under the water, you will see tons of light coming out of deep caverns and caves. It's really unbelievable. Especially at Dos Ojos.

But k374 is right about there not being much visible life in the cenotes. You'll see some small fish and maybe some turtles, but that's it. Remember, they are fresh water and rather cool in temperature.

I took this at Dos Ojos. It's hard to get a good photo given the lighting situation, but you can see how it is. It's much much deeper than it appears.

Last edited by Jesse44; 05-16-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Hm. If we just wanted to snorkel, would you not recommend this then?

We are staying in Riviera Maya with about 30 family members. How far away is Riviera Maya from these ceynotes or even Tulum?

We just wanted to see some major attractions. I'm hesitant to go to some of the ruins that are a few hours drive just because it's our family reunion. We will be revisiting the ruins at Tulum because we love the view.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Yes, you snorkel not to see animals, but to the amazing rock formations and caves beneath the water. It is the clearest water I have ever seen in my life. I was more excited to snorkel in the sea initially, but this was the highlight of my three week Mexico trip.

And Riviera Maya is not a destination, it's the strip of coast and land along the east side of the Yucatan. Basically the state of Quintana Roo. What actual town or place is your reuinion? All of the cenotes I listed are within 10-20 minutes by taxi from the centre of town (Tulum).

Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 PM

We are staying at the Now Jade Riviera Cancun resort. We are venturing out one day to do major sightseeing and I wanted to combine the ruins at Tulum with the ceynotes.

I'll make sure to bring my own snorkel gear. Anything else I should know? How cold is the water?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Tulum is maybe a 2 hour drive from Cancun. Cenote water is not freezing cold, it's just significantly cooler than the sea water. Given the heat and humidity it's actually pleasant.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:44 PM

So the resort is actually in Puerto Morelos. Hopefully that's closer to Tulum. I hated the drive from Cancun to there when we went in 2012.

Thank you for your help! Rep points coming your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel