U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:18 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times

Advertisements

I would be using PTO time to extend weekends and fly Saturday am and return Tuesday pm.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:27 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,565,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
So, I guess this isn't necessarily a question about houston.. but thought I might be able to find some helpful info here. I just moved to houston and am in Sugarland, so close enough to both IAH and Hobby. Problem is my girlfriend is back in PA and we need to figure out the cheapest way we can actually get to see each other for the next year or so. Most round trip Fri-Sun flights are in the $500 range. Checking some travel sites it looks like we've found individual flights to total around $350.. but the times aren't always ideal and this is still a tough monthly expense on us.

Anyone might have any other good suggestions? My CC earns points but on a month to month basis most I'll be earning is enough to cover a few percent of the flight. I checked spirit airlines but they don't fly into PHL. Unsure really of what other options may be available, if any.

Just figured I'd try to get some added suggestions! Thanks
Amtrak
I did a search from Philly (I didn't know where she is) to Houston and got about $280. Go to their website and see what you can work out.
We've traveled by train a few times, and like it.

Maybe you can combine Amtrak and driving a little or something like that.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Can either of you talk with your bosses to explore the possibility of a 9/80 work schedule? Then at least you'll have every other Friday off, and you can consider the possibility of taking a Thursday night red-eye.

Also, sign up for fare alerts at hipmunk.com. You put in the dates you're looking for, enter your email address, and it will let you know when a good fare comes up.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,832,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Amtrak
I did a search from Philly (I didn't know where she is) to Houston and got about $280. Go to their website and see what you can work out.

Uhhhhh ... I don't think you looked very closely at all. It's $280 just for one way. And one way involves two days, three trains, and a bus. I don't think that's practical at all.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:35 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,932,287 times
Quote:
Amtrak

I know you're trying but your suggestion is really really funny. OP wants to spend the weekend with his girlfriend but she needs to be back in PA as she works on Monday morning.

Have you looked at how long it would take her to Amtrak her way down to Houston? LOL!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Amtrak

It takes two days in each direction. Won't do them any good.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM

577 posts, read 1,581,943 times
I did this but it was Sacramento to Boston... Plan on spending a lot of money on travel and only really having one good day with your girlfriend. We ended up using vacation to make long weekends like others have suggested and did a red eye Thursday or Friday night and came home Tuesday. Also was able to telecommute on Monday and Tuesday then flew in late Tuesday and went in to work tired on Wed morning.. For us we drove an hour to a different airport that had more choices of flights... I flew Oakland to Boston mostly on JetBlue for that route. It was a direct flight though so that was nice and cut the travel time some. Also we met in the middle a few times... it was a cheaper flight and we got to relax and have quality time together without outside distractions. Maybe Chicago for you guys? Lots of flights in there... Good luck!

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM

7,679 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Get on the Southwest sale fares mailing list. They don't share their fare database with others so they don't show up in flight search web sites that use the ITA Matrix database. They're no longer a low fare carrier under normal circumstances, but sometimes you can find something. (And if you do My Coke Rewards, you can sometimes get $20-$50 discount coupons and GCs for them there.)

Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,685,250 times
As ageneral rule, for one person, going a longer distance, flying is the cheapest way to travel. Especially if you don't have to pay for a hotel while you are there.

Sometimes there are big city to big city airfare specials. You just have to watch for them. You could probably get email alerts from the airlines about their specials.

If you establish a relationship with a travel agent, they should be agreeable to inform you of any specials that come along.

Philly to Houston and back over one weekend means spending most of the time in airports and not have much time for visiting. It makes more sense to Skype and then you guys alternate your vacation time and every now and again one of you goes to stay with the other for a full week.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM

2,483 posts, read 3,534,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
read the OP's last sentence before wasting time giving advice that doesn't meet his criteria.
And if YOU read the OP's post, you'll see there isn't much criteria to base our advice on at all. Due to his time constraints and frequency of travel the only option is to find flights with the best balance of schedule and cost. That is best found through flight searches. The suggestion to get on some fare watch mailing lists is a good one to if you don't mind the extra messages each day.

OP: There are no miracle alternatives for you. The only way it won't cost you a lot of money to travel long distances is if someone else is paying for it, which was why I mentioned hitchhiking, but I don't recommend that either. And the only way it won't cost a lot of money AND TIME is to fly.

Last edited by otterprods; 05-15-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or